Ever run into an ISUer who...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frontrangeclone, Apr 24, 2009.

1. frontrangeclone

frontrangeclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    water+rocks+computers
    5,521 ft above sea level
    doesn't have a freaking clue nor care about ISU athletics? So I'm living in Washington DC right now, and I run into this guy in the apartment building last night who was an Ames native and graduated ISU 2 years ago. He saw my I-State sweatshirt and started up the conversation. He asked if I ever get back to Ames and I indicated that I was back over the holidays and caught the incredibly frustrating SDSU game... his response was "oh, they always lose" which sounded like a generalization of all ISU sports. I made a couple other sports references and he looked at me like I was talking in Farsi. My girlfriend (who is a Badger) even brought up the Elite 8 women's b-ball and v-ball teams, and the guy was on another planet. Now I realize sports aren't everyone's cup of tea and people have different interests.... but c'mon! dude was an Ames native. You can't not at least know remotely whats going on in a small town like Ames where they Clones are THE team. It made me contemplate how many passive, disinterested ISU alum are actually out there? I started to think that it's no wonder ISU has had sporadic support for athletics over the years. Don't get me wrong, there is a very loyal, hardcore group of fans for ISU, but what is that percentage of alums who never gave a hoot for ISU before, during, and after there time in Ames? were these people victims of the 80s era hayden fry-eiu football indoctrination happening the state? were they just eternal pessimists? Perhaps these were the people Pollard was talking about when he talked about expanding the fan base.

2. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    No - but those fans who double post their threads drive me up the freaking wall..... :wink:

3. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Why the second thread?

4. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Some people don't like sports; why's it a big deal?

5. frontrangeclone

frontrangeclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    water+rocks+computers
    5,521 ft above sea level
    my bad... didn't mean to double post...

6. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Ankeny, IA
    Frankly there's too many alum who don't care about ISU athletics and that's one of the reason's we struggle. I know too many of them!!!!!!!!!!!!