Eat it, Albert.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good, that gives me another reason not to like the Cardinals.

That being said though, I pretty much hate the entire NL Central.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
He won the World Series, but the Phillies had a better regular season record.

The regular season in which the award is based upon.

lmsoup

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
If you hate the Cards then that's fine and leave it at that. Just admitt, "I hate the cards so screw him".

If you look at the stats (regular reason) it's really not close. Numbers don't lie, so therefore how can he look like an ***???

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
"The Numbers"

Pujols: .331, 49 home runs and 137 RBIs
Howard: .313, 58 home runs and 149 RBIs

I'm not a schill for either side, but is .028 of a batting average worth more then 8 more homers and 12 more RBIs?

lmsoup

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
do the homers per at bat, runs scored per game...etc.

Albert missed several weeks, many games and AB's.

I admitt I am a long time Cards fan, Albert is a better human being than baseball player. All of that aside...do the math per at bat, per game....slugging percentage, runs scored and others are all better than Howard. Had Albert played those 3 weeks he would have outpreformed Howard.

Anyone who tells Albert to eat it is really just being an A$$, what he does for underpriveledged kids...how he goes about his job...etc., is amazing.

If he were a Cub, I hope I would be man enough to say the same.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
If he's going to complain about not getting the MVP for ANY reason, he deserves to get criticized.

As far as the numbers, you can't play the "what if" game. Howard had better numbers in HR and RBI. Whether or not Pujols could have done better if he played more games is a moot point, since he didn't. With that same sort of logic, Mike Sweeney should win the MVP every year because he's got great potential and his numbers extrapolated over an entire year are usually pretty good. Of course that's an exaggeration, but I think you see my point. You compare on the numbers they have, not the numbers they may have had.

Secondly, Pujols made the point that the MVP award should go to someone on a playoff team. As we saw this year, the difference between a playoff team (the Cards) and a non-playoff team (the Astros) can be pretty much negligible. If you're not going to allow someone from the Astros to be in the running for the MVP, what right does a player on a team that was 1 game better over a 162 game stretch have to considered for the award? None that I can see. Maybe Albert should just say that the MVP award should just be awarded to someone on the World-Series-winning team. Oh wait, Albert didn't win that either.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know why I'm doing this, I have no interest, but anyways...

"The Revised Numbers"

Pujols: .091588785 hr/ab, .2560747664 rbi/ab, 92 BB
Howard: .099827883 hr/ab, .256454389 rbi/ab, 108 BB

No more fetch quests for me.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Anyone who tells Albert to eat it is really just being an A$$, what he does for underpriveledged kids...how he goes about his job...etc., is amazing.

I never questioned his off the field actions, he does great things for children. He had no room to say that Howard didn't deserve the MVP, and that is why I said "eat it." What does him acting like he is above everyone else say to aspiring young athletes? I played with too many cockey little jerks in high school baseball, we don't need any more of that going around.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Albert had a slight edge in OPS, too, which is a more telling stat for production than RBIs since that is highly correlated to the OBP of the guys in front of him. I don't have a problem with Howard winning it, though.

It bothers me a lot more that an 83 win team won the World Series.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
do the homers per at bat, runs scored per game...etc.

Albert missed several weeks, many games and AB's.

I admitt I am a long time Cards fan, Albert is a better human being than baseball player. All of that aside...do the math per at bat, per game....slugging percentage, runs scored and others are all better than Howard. Had Albert played those 3 weeks he would have outpreformed Howard.

If he were a Cub, I hope I would be man enough to say the same.

Exactly. I'm a Cards fan too, and when Derrick Lee got the nod over Al, I agreed 100%. In fact, I thought if Albert got the nod, I would have been upset.

Still, injuries are part of the game and I still think Howard deserved it.

But remember, before Albert got hurt, he was on pace to shatter both the RBI and homerun records. When he came back, it took him awhile to get back into it, just like anyone else who gets injured for a long spell.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I listened to KXNO and a guy felt the Jeter should have won this year. I didnt follow closely, but apparently he had some great numbers for a #2 slot hitter.

What do you think?

joshf80

Mar 26, 2006
Pujols blew Howard away when it came to clutch hitting stats....I don't have the numbers on hand but I for sure thought AP's clutch hitting numbers would have gotten him the MVP....It just goes to show that baseball is only interested in the home run ball! AP deserved the award but there was no point in his comments...They may be worse than what he actually said because I believe they were translated into english right??? All in all I am a big cards fan but there is nothing wrong with Howard winning the MVP, he deserved it too!!

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
Pujols blew Howard away when it came to clutch hitting stats....I don't have the numbers on hand but I for sure thought AP's clutch hitting numbers would have gotten him the MVP....It just goes to show that baseball is only interested in the home run ball! AP deserved the award but there was no point in his comments...They may be worse than what he actually said because I believe they were translated into english right??? All in all I am a big cards fan but there is nothing wrong with Howard winning the MVP, he deserved it too!!

Do "clutch hitting stats" even exist? I'm not aware that clutch hitting really is a proven phenomenon. A great hitter will always be a great hitter, and a crappy hitter will not become a great hitter in certain situations. A lot of baseball is about luck.

Granted, players like Pujols and Ortiz always seem to be hitting late-inning heroic shots, but those runs don't count any more than an early-inning homer by Howard. They just make for more spectacular highlights and get more coverage on ESPN.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Clutch hitting isn't just about hits late in the game. Pujols hit .397 with runners in scoring position, and Howard hit .256. Think of how many more RBIs Howard could have had if he hit anywhere near as well as Pujols in those situations.

Some players are really able to focus in tough spots, while others panic, think too much, and aren't as good as other times in the game. There's guys who want to be up with the game on the line and there are guys who do not want to be in that situation. It's human nature.

Luck is part of baseball, but mentality is a big part of baseball, too.

seneca4MVP

Nov 14, 2006
Exactly. I'm a Cards fan too, and when Derrick Lee got the nod over Al, I agreed 100%. In fact, I thought if Albert got the nod, I would have been upset.

Still, injuries are part of the game and I still think Howard deserved it.

But remember, before Albert got hurt, he was on pace to shatter both the RBI and homerun records. When he came back, it took him awhile to get back into it, just like anyone else who gets injured for a long spell.

Um since when did D Lee win the MVP? Pujols won it last yeard bud.

Pujols should not make this complaint. His team was worse than the Phillies throughout the season and thanks to being in a horse **** division were able to make the playoffs. All the credit in the world to them for winning it but don't become all high and mighty. Howard's hitting in the clutch was....clutch! When the playoffs were on the line, he was the hottest. That is true clutch. He had many game winning hits

Is Howard better than Pujols? Of course not. Anyone who says that doesn't know the game of baseball. But Howard, this year was deserving of that award. Quit crying Pujols. Are Pujols true colors starting to show?

FirNaTine

Sep 3, 2006
Mason City
Hmm and this has what to do with Iowa State? I mean i realize there are a lot of disgruntled Cubs fans around here but post it somewhere else.

FirNaTine

Sep 3, 2006
Mason City
First of all im not ur buddy... but im sorry I see that is the off-topic forum now. Sorry im a newbie here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron