DraftExpress.com Top 15 Big 12 Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by kucyclone, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kucyclone

kucyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Seattle
    1. Willie Warren (OU)
    2. Cole Aldrich (KU)
    3. Tyshawn Taylor (KU)
    4. Craig Brackins (ISU)
    5. James Anderson (OSU)
    6. Sherron Collins (KU)
    7. Damion James (UT)
    8. Ekpe Udoh (BU)
    9. Marcus Morris (KU)
    10. Dexter Pittman (UT)
    11. Markieff Morris (KU)
    12. Cory Higgins (CU)
    13. Kim English (MU)
    14. Bryan Davis (aTm)
    15. Diante Garrett (ISU)
    DraftExpress: Top NBA Draft Prospects in the Big 12, Part One (#1-5)

DraftExpress: Top NBA Draft Prospects in the Big 12 (Part Two: #6-10)

DraftExpress: Top NBA Draft Prospects in the Big 12 (Part Three: #11-15)

Notes:

• This only includes returning players.
    • This is an NBA draft site, and thus ranks on pro potential and not necessarily college ability.

2. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    No offense to DG, but he is not a pro prospect right now. What does he do well enough?

3. sodakjoe

sodakjoe Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, he is only listed as the 15th best guy in the entire conference, so that's not saying much in the NBA draft, which only takes 60 guys total.

4. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    according to who? you?

no offense, but you are not an nba scout.

5. cmoore_23

cmoore_23 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    national guard
    Ankeny, IA
    interesting

6. kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
    Seattle
    The DG hate on this board is phenomenal. He's a really nice player who still has two years left. He was just a few assists away from being the best assist guy in the conference last season. ( 2009 Big 12 Conference Leaders for Assist Rate )

7. arganbright2

arganbright2 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    I have no idea why DG gets no love on here. We all saw his high school highlights on here and the kid scored a ton of points and had alot of assists because he was always running up and down the court. He hasn't done that at ISU. I think if he played in an offense that played to his strengths he would be a 14 pt 7 assist player easily.

8. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    I've been a DG supporter since his freshman year. The kid can play.

9. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    Love DG... love his D. If he improves again like last year he could be something special.

10. CyinCo

CyinCo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Engineer
    Clive, IA
    DG gets dogged here because he does everything except finish well. People remember the bad things that happen and getting to the hoop and missing a layup is memorable. Otherwise, he does many things well.

11. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    #11 Drive4cy, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    I think he's ranked about right. To me, he's a 3rd team or honorable mention all conference type player. He's experienced and progressed well from his freshman to sophomore campaign. If he could develop his body more OR become a dependable perimeter shooter he would be very solid. Yeah, he has some turnovers once in awhile but he wasn't exactly surrounded by greatness last year. This year he will have an improved cast of characters around him.

12. cykadelic2

cykadelic2 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Too many here focus on his weaknesses (which are correctable IMO) and ignore the fact that he has a very good ability to beat almost anybody off the dribble, has the length and quickness to be a good perimeter defender, and can run a team from the point. If (and not a big if) he gains more strength, improves his outside shooting some, and becomes a more consistent finisher at the rim, he has a chance to emerge an as all=conference type player and have a long=term professional career here or overseas.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I think DG gets dogged alot because ISU has been pretty spoiled with point guards in the recent past... Blalock and Tinsley left some VERY big shoes to fill...

14. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Tim Barnes was pretty solid for most of his lone season, too. Not great by any means but he wasn't a stiff and played great the last 8-10 games.

15. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    After four years, he should be really good. He is still getting better.

16. CycloneYoda

CycloneYoda Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    DG is a good COLLEGE pg, but he lacks size and an outside shot to even be considered and NBA prospect. I like him and hope he starts every game this year(experience=success), but he won't play in the NBA unless something miraculous happens.

17. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    DG gets dogged because he's the primary ballhandler on a team that has not been good the last two years. He's like the quarterback, way too much blame when things go bad and way too much praise when things go well.

If he had a better cast around him we'd all be talking about how he plays within himself and delivers the ball with few turnovers. As it is he is asked to do more than his abilities allow for and it isn't really fair to him. I do think he'll be a very, very solid player for us the next few years.

18. kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
    Seattle
    I could see DG turning into a poor man's Devin Harris. Their sophomore stats are actually pretty comparable, as far as I can tell.

Also, everyone may want to take note of the fact that kucyclone thinks higher of an ISU player than the rest of CF. It's not all doom and gloom from this guy.

19. brentblum

brentblum Brett Blume
    Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Great post and couldn't agree more. He has some skills that are ideal, he is a legit 6'4, extremely quick, big hands and long arms. I think DG with some added polish will play for many years professionally and perhaps even in the NBA. I think this year he will show some doubters what he can do and play with more confidence.

20. xboxfever

xboxfever Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    DG has no ceiling. You can see a high amount of potential, but at this point he does not do anything well except get to the basket. He needs to learn to finish and shoot the ball. He will never get a chance to make the NBA unless he develops an effective mid to long outside shot which he is absolutely terrible at. I expect his game to go up a complete level this season, and everyone will be saying how lucky we are to have him as a point though.