Dog help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mustangcy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    #1 mustangcy, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Got a new puppy this winter and am having a very hard time keeping her in the yard. She's pretty well potty trained but the problem is that we still have to put her on a leash or she'll dart off. We live on more than an acre so we should have plenty of room in our own yard.

Question being I've thought of getting a shock collar of some kind to train her to stay in the yard. Suggestions? I've heard there are units that you plug in and start to shock if they wander away a certain amount of feet....help!

I should probably note that I'm not going the underground route...way to big a yard imo and I don't want to hassle with tearing up my yard like that.

2. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I trained mine to come when I called her. Probably lots of videos on the subject, but I put a long cord on her and pulled her toward me while giving my command. When she got to me, I'd give her a small treat. Took a few 10-15 minute sessions.

3. ISUagger

ISUagger Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Student
    Ames
    Shock collars work well. Most dogs listen better when the owner puts the collar on, regardless if it is even charged.

4. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Just put rotating movement sensitive particle lasers at the four corners of the backyard and that will take care of the problem.:jimlad:

5. mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    We used the treat method for potty training and it worked ok but this dog ain't gonna respond to treats once it's off the leash. We've actually tried it and she won't even look our direction. I've been looking into the wireless fence systems and it seems like it might be the way to go but they are not cheap...especially if you want one to cover a full acre.

6. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    fence your yard

7. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    What kind of dog? My old german shorthair was gone everytime she had freedom. Shock collars did zero good.

My current shorthairs have an invisible fence which they are really good about, I would reconsider that - i knew people that had over 3 acres done with their electric fence.

8. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Rather deal with the hassle of runaway dog? The units just require you to run a line around your property, or wherever you want to keep your dog in. It wasn't a big deal when we installed it. Our lawn was not torn up at all.

9. CycloneGB

CycloneGB Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    We did it without a shock collar for our dog and she's not totally there yet. But in about the same situation as you. Just basically make sure you are watching her all the time when she's outside. Basically took her around to her limits and if she crossed over, scolded her. I'd walk across the road, and if she tried to follow I'd scold her and make her go back until she got the hint that once she's on the road it's off limits. Caught on to that pretty quickly, so I'd go around the corner where I could see her and she couldn't see me, and wait for her to try and go across the "boundary" and catch her and scold her as soon as she stepped foot in the off-limits area.

Takes a lot of patience that way and you always have to be watching when the dog is outside for the first little while. And it would be made a lot easier with a shock collar, but it worked ok for me.

10. CycloneGB

CycloneGB Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Also: Did a lot of research myself about electric fence options. If you have a flat yard, the wireless fences sound good. But I wanted something that would keep my dog corralled while I was gone and it doesn't sound like that is an option with anything but an underground system. Also found out that it shocks when it loses signal from its base. So, if the base accidentally was unplugged or the power went out, the dog gets a real long shock for no reason.

11. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    it would be helpful to know what kind of dog

If its a coon dog for instance, then the answer would be good luck not going to happen. If it's a toy dog then might be a different answer.

12. JVAR

JVAR Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Mental Health/Corrections
    Eagle Grove, IA

I have a German Longhaired Pointer and they love to run like other pointing breeds. I used a 10 and 20 foot check cord leash with her when I would take her outside. I would praise her and give her treats when she came to me. When she was 4 months old I introduced her to the shock collar. If done properly, you don't have to use that high of a setting. I would still praise her when she would come to me even after I shocked her to get her attention. I take her outside now when I mow or rake leaves with no shock collar and she always stays in the yard (we live in town). I have even forgot about her and accidently left her out and she will lie down by the door. The only time she wears the e collar is when I hunt her, and that is for insurance purposes if she would ever decide to chase a deer or run on a highway after a wounded bird. I think e collars work well, but you have to follow the instructions and make sure they don't get "collar smart!" If you have a smaller dog (like a toy breed), then make sure you get an e collar for smaller breeds. I installed an electronic fence for my mom (it is a pain in the butt burying the wire) and it worked really well. Good luck.

13. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    It is probably your dog's favorite activity. it goes running, you start chasing and the game is on! I am sure if you have an iron will and a lot of steak for treats it could be possible. I like to just manage the situation and would probably put up a fence for peace of mind. If not possible just put it on a run.

14. ISUAlum05

ISUAlum05 Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Get help from a professional trainer, who will assist you in training your dog without causing him pain.

15. mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    She's a miniature schnauzer.

16. ISU_phoria

ISU_phoria Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Construction Project Mana
    Andover, MN
    You can buy invisible fences that don't require in ground cables. may be a good option.

17. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    ahhhh, I wouldnt worry to much, look for a different dog, wont be to long and a coyote or owl will snatch her up. Id recommend a fat dog that doesnt run.

18. JackDog

JackDog Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Farm
    Washington
    My friend and I both have dogs and large yards about 2 acres. We built a heavy duty trencher that barely disrupts the surface while burying the wire three inches deep. If you have the time and access to some old farm equipment parts and a welder, build one of these and make a few bucks on the side, otherwise, there are a ton of other people out there that will do it for ya.

And for our dogs, we got the collar with different settings. We put flags on the perimeter for a couple weeks to show the boundary. Set the collar to where the collar beeps when they are about ten feet away from the wire and shocks only when the dog crosses the line. Walk the perimeter of the yard with your dog a few times daily with a long leash and let him learn. Our dog only got shocked good once and now we keep the collar on him but the fence turned off.

Your a little further than we usually travel but if interested let me know. I'm sure there's a few guys with similar trenches closer to you

19. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    Underground fences are easy to install. Just rent an edger and use that to dig your "trench" for the wire.

20. JackDog

JackDog Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Farm
    Washington
    Just make sure it's a heavy duty one if you have trees and bushes near where you want the boundary. I have a couple neighbors that tried this and the edgers wouldn't cut through some of the bigger roots