Do you see more than 2 wins next year.

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by cyclone79, Oct 21, 2007.

1. cyclone79

cyclone79 Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Here is the schedule, I want to believe, but this is a tough schedule.
    I can see us beating SDS and kent State (they will be better next year).
    I don't see many more wins; do you? Maybe a&m, they will have a new coach.
    Nebraska will be back. Missouri and Kansas are loaded, and we don't play well on the road.

Only 1 game in November at home; we should set another attendance record.

Sat, Aug 30 South Dakota State Ames, Iowa

Sat, Sep 06 Kent State Ames, Iowa

Sat, Sep 13 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa

Sat, Sep 20 UNLV at Las Vegas, Nev.

Sat, Oct 04 Kansas * Ames, Iowa

Sat, Oct 11 Baylor * at Waco, Texas

Sat, Oct 18 Nebraska * Ames, Iowa

Sat, Oct 25 Texas A&M * Ames, Iowa

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma State * at Stillwater, Okla.

Sat, Nov 08 Colorado * at Boulder, Colo.

Sat, Nov 15 Missouri * Ames, Iowa

Sat, Nov 22 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan.

2. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    South Dakota State, Kent State, UNLV, Iowa are all winnable. I say we go 2-2 out of those 4. We are also capable of beating Baylor.

3. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    I can't speculate on next year before THIS year is even over...but if I had to guess THIS far ahead of time, I would def. say yes we will have more than two wins next year. We don't know who will be the new players at a lot of key positions, but I do like what Chizik is doin in the recruiting game.

However I am concerned more with us getting more than 1 and then 2 wins THIS year. I have ALL the offseason to speculate wins and losses for '08 after THIS year is over.

4. Dormeezy

Dormeezy Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Software Engineer
    Cedar Rapids
  5. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I think next year will be very similar to this year, especially with a new starting QB. I do think we take care of business in the non-conference better than this year, but it's probably another 1-7 or 2-6 conference record. So I look for a 3-4 win season and more improvement.

6. Cyclone42

Cyclone42 Guest

It depends on recruiting. There is an article on the front page of CR (open and free, so I can talk about it) about a "four-star" DE JuCo recruit named David Bedford, who apparently has a teammate already playing for us. If we can land him, and maybe one more just like him but on the offensive line, then I actually predict 4 maybe 5 wins next year. I think just about ALL of our problems can be blamed on the offensive line, period. Shore that up, and we're fine.

7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I'll go with 6. Next year might hinge entirely on the QB position though, so in my mind it's a crapshoot.

8. Gary_ISU

Gary_ISU Member

Apr 12, 2006
    How can you say that Nebraska will be back? Nobody has any idea who their coach will be. Iowa is a complete and total disaster this year. Those are both winnable games next year.

9. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa

With a "new inexperienced quarterback"...next year wont be a whole lot better than this year IMHO!

This rebuilding project will take 2 or 3 more years before ISU can expect to win many games.

10. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    I would say 2-3 sounds about right.

11. TheHelgo

TheHelgo Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Portfolio Manager
    St. Louis, MO
    i see 7 wins: SDS, KSU, UNLV, Baylor, Nebraska, A&M, Mizzou.

none of these should be incredibly difficult. All but UNLV & Baylor are at home.

12. bandit

bandit Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I'd guess 4-5 wins. I used to think that inexperienced QB's were an automatic liability. But now I think of Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Josh Freeman, etc. and realize an inexperienced AB can be as much of an asset than a liability. Yes, there are also the QB's that flop-I'm just saying it's an entirely bad thing to have a new QB under center and I'll take the optimistic approach that AA will light it up next year.

13. JJ4ISU

JJ4ISU Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    WDM Side of Waukee
    I think we will have a lot of competitive games next year. The key might be that our running backs and our whole offensive line return, which might turn into more points in the red zone. I look for our offense to make strides this last month of the season; we'll start scoring some points, I believe.

14. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

It would definitely be a bonus to have a strong running game to take the heat off of Arnaud. Our O-line has made great strides this year, and if they continue to make progress, they could be a strength of this team.

15. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't think it hinges NEARLY as much on the Quarterback position as it does on the O Line and running game. We are sorely lacking on production there. If we can get a running game going and keep the QB protected and off his back, I can see a 6-7 win season. I think we win the first 4, Kansas at home (first home game of the season, confidence from a good start), Baylor, and Nebraska at home (new coach, can't be THAT much better than they are this year). A&M isn't that hot this year, and they'll be having a new coach next year as well.

OKie State? Probably be pretty good, but I'm not terrified of them or anything. Then you have Colorado (should be tough), Missouri (should be tough) and K-State (who knows? probably tough).

I'm actually pretty optimistic for next year.

16. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006

I agree, I kinda like that NU game next season.

17. bmuff

bmuff Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006

Really, I don't see any game on that schedule that is unwinnable. To me, the toughest games are at OSU and at KSU. ISU has to shore up the OL, have some players step up on the interior DL and find a kicker. If they can do that, I think that they have a decent shot at 6-6.

18. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    5 wins minimum. Likely 7 or 8. We will be MUCH improved. Nebraska should be a gimme as they will be a MESS with a new coaching staff.

19. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I agree that I don't see any games on that schedule that are 'sure losses', like we had this year with UT and OU. That being said, I don't think we will win the majority of our games next year....I see 4-5 victories. These 4-5 wins depend on us playing with the same grit that we played with on Saturday. I believe we were a little lucky on Saturday (a few missed TD's for OU on mis-thrown long passes), but overall our effort was much better. If Chiz can get the same effort out of the guys, keep us in almost all of the games, then I think we will pull off some victories.

20. brandnewsaves

brandnewsaves New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    beating aTm dobutful