Do you drink to get drunk or for taste?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mtowncyclone13, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    A friend and I were arguing this the other day and I thought I'd get your esteemed opinion.

My feeling is I don't like to drink if I have responsibilities to do in the near future. If I have to mow the lawn and go to Menards later I'm not going to have a beer at an afternoon block party or something. People drink alcohol solely because it has a mood altering effect on their brain and that is the reason, regardless of quantity, people drink. I drink only when I know it will alter my mind and I can relax and enjoy it.

My friend says people drink for the taste. I asked if people would drink a truly non-alcoholic (0.0% abv) Miller Lite and he said "probably not". He smokes marijuana. I asked him if he would smoke it if he did not get high. He said "of course not". I think that made my point pretty solid.

What say you?

2. ZJohnson

ZJohnson Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Snottsdale, AZ
  3. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I'm with you. If people drank for taste, you would never drink beer because the first time you try beer, most hate it. Same with a lot of liquors. Yeah, once you drink more regularly, like through college you learn how to have a beer or two but when you first start you are in taste acquirement mode. I think once you are older it's more of a reason to socialize than actually taste a beer. "Hey, let's go grab a beer." That's more about the social aspect than it is about having a beer because you just love the taste of beer.

4. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    This. A good G&T is both delicious and wonderfully mind altering.

5. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    d. All of the above.

6. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    I drink to forget...

7. ZJohnson

ZJohnson Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Snottsdale, AZ
    I'm guessing you aren't a craft beer guy??

8. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    I drink to relax and for the taste.

9. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    I drink for taste. Wine goes better with steak or prime rib than pop or milk. Likewise, on a really hot day, a really cold beer or hard cider goes down better than a really cold pop (less sweet, less aftertaste).

Yes, I'm OLD, but even in my misspent college days, I didn't like being drunk. I'm too much of a control freak to allow myself to get OUT of control. :)

10. redrocker

redrocker Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    M.M.F.I.C.
    Ames - West-CY'd
    I like when my wife drinks. *wink wink* Makes ME more desirable.

11. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I'm sure there are people that drink beer solely because it tastes good, to me there are other drinks I'd much prefer if going on taste alone. I don't have any interest in getting really drunk anymore, I'd rather not feel like **** if I can avoid it, but a beer or 2 after work to unwind is sure nice sometimes.

12. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    I've never really thought about it but I guess I mainly drink to get drunk. I mean I like the taste as well, but I don't drink beers that are meant to be "drank for taste".

13. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    after this week? To be drunk.

God I hate German emails that have gone through the Apple maps version of Google translate.

But in reality, probably both. Like mtown, I don't drink if I know I've got stuff to do. But yeah, the wine I like goes better with pasta than milk or water, so it's taste too. Pop tastes too sweet to me most of the time now - so rum and coke is a perfect combo of taste/relax/become a chatty Cathy!

14. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    I will amend mine by agreeing with the original poster that once I have an alcoholic beverage I become irresponsible and uninterested in anything other than having fun. No work will get done, none.

15. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    I'm guessing a whole lot of "Essen" this, and "mein scheisse" that?

16. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    They are fine, but if I'm drinking an alcoholic beverage for taste, it's probably going to be whisky. That said, if I'll planning getting drunk, whisky is not a good option.

17. cyclonepower

cyclonepower Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2006
    WDM
    Should be our motto for this fball season

18. ISUME

ISUME Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    It depends on the situation for me. If I'm having dinner the drink is for taste. If I'm going to a tailgate I'm going to get drunk.

19. ISUME

ISUME Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I was assuming this comment was from 2015 after reading that thread earlier.

20. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    I think it depends on my mood\the situation.

There are times i might drink a good beer just to enjoy the beer.

Then there are other times im drinking purely to get drunk.... which has been probably a bit too common lately.