Do we still have a shot at Dye?

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyentist, Dec 31, 2008.

1. cyentist

cyentist Member

Oct 11, 2008
    West Des Moines, IA
    What are people's opinions of our shot at Dye. It no doubt took a hit with the coaching switch, but if Fountain was the one recruiting him (according to rivals) and it's been rumored that he is staying here, along with hiring the DE coach from Auburn we still may have a shot.

This was just posted yesterday.

Scout.com: Under Armour Defensive Line Preview

"Dye, a 6-5, 225-pounder, is ranked No. 24 in the country at his position, and while all eyes will be on the Seminole product when he’s on the practice field there will be just as much focus on the 4-star end when he announces his decision on Jan. 4. Many feel that Dye will choose between LSU and Miami with the Hurricanes being the odds-on favorite."

I'd say we are a long shot but not too many outside ISU know he took a visit here so we may be a big surprise.

2. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Hmmm Miami, ISU, Miami, ISU, Miami, ISU....Yeah no contest Miami all the way

3. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Hummm. LSU, Miami, or Iowa State???? One of these things is not like the other.

However it would be nice.

4. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Damn ISUfbkurt you post is almost identical to mine.

5. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Why not. Afterall, life is based on hopes and dreams, right? He is good friends with Haughton, so maybe there is still a chance. Hopefully, he wasn't one of the guys infatuated with the Chizz.

6. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    I know thats hilarious lol

7. cyentist

cyentist Member

Oct 11, 2008
    West Des Moines, IA
    It was never a question of which programs are better or have more tradition. The way we got him to even visit was the selling of playing time. Be a really big fish in a smaller pond, or just another fish?

8. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe that's what gets him here, or other recruits here. Sometimes being the "different" choice gives people an actual choice. Well, we can hope.

9. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    C'mon guys by this rationale teams in beautiful and warm weather regions would dominate college football. We know that's false, I mean, look at the great programs at Washington, Notre Dame, tOSU, Mich...er...nevermind.

10. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    We should be going after every uncommitted stud DE hard, we can offer them loads of playing time at the position.

We really need to land a couple at the end of this recruiting class, it was a huge need position, and Chizik hadn't landed any commits yet except the Juco who didn't have a very impressive year.... man I hope PR can find 1 or 2 good ones in the last month here.

11. A-town Cy

A-town Cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Huxley
    Doubtful, but he still could come here and play right away, we just got a great new DL coach in Terry Price, and we kept Scott Fountain who was initially recruiting him.

Dyron Dye - Football Recruiting

12. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    #12 CyValley, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    Just supporting A-town Cy's comment. It seems fortuitous (or, maybe it was by intention) that former Auburn DE coach Terry Price is already on the job. Bet he's been sifting through DE recruits, making a list and checking it twice!

We've got a position coach (his job is TBD, but it'll be on the DL, shirley - there's that line from Airplane again) in the team area of what is arguably the greatest need. With Price and Fountain working this problem together, maybe we'll see some good results. But, it's late in the recruiting season, and the trend (from what I've read) is for kids to commit earlier rather than later these days. It's a tall task, but I trust coaches Price and Fountain will give it their best.

13. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    I'd give us a 20% chance

And yes...I'm saying there is a chance

14. clone4life82

clone4life82 Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Enginerd
    Ankeny
    he looks like he's about 29 years old

15. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    This seems to apply much more often in basketball than football, but maybe he sees a chance to make his mark, and soon.

16. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Does anyone think, maybe, just maybe.. Fountain is staying on because of his recruitment of Dye.. I mean, one of our biggest needs is a DE and this guy could probably start from day one, or at least play quite a bit.. Wishful thinking:cool:

17. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Personally, I kinda hope Coach Fountain is staying on because he feels it's the best choice for his family. I'm not trying to be maudlin or sweet, I'm being serious here. Family comes first. Ames is a great little city.

Second reason, I hope Fountain believes, after meeting Coach Rhaods, that there's great possibility for a winning future at Iowa State. I hope he thinks there's great value in his job.

I don't think he'd make such key decision for himself and his family based on the possible action of a teen-ager. But, I could be wrong. For sure.

18. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I keep seeing a scroll at the bottom of ESPN that Dye will be announcing his choice along with other notable players. Is that at the high school all-american game?

19. cyismydog

cyismydog Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
  20. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa