DMR: Information on Mike Taylor

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by ISUFan22, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    #1 ISUFan22, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
    DMR has a story on it now...

Link

Mike Taylor's future as a member of the Iowa State basketball team is under review after he was cited by Ames police for fifth degree theft on Saturday.

Taylor, the Cyclones' most valuable player last season, was previously arrested March 19 for fourth degree criminal mischief stemming from an incident Feb. 4.

Taylor has been suspended from the Iowa State team since that March 19 arrest, which violated Iowa State's student-athlete conduct code.

"I am in the process of collecting more information, and the latest citation will be part of an exhaustive review of Mike's personal conduct,'' Iowa State basketball coach Greg McDermott said in a statement released Tuesday.

"I will consider the evidence that is available to me and determine a course of action that is suitable for Mike and our basketball team.''

Taylor, 21, from Milwaukee, Wis., who led Iowa State in scoring last season at 16 points a game, was ticketed Saturday after shoplifting an item worth $11.06 from the Cub Foods store at 3121 Grand Ave. in Ames.

Taylor is accused of taking a box of cold medicine, according to Sgt. Mark Wheeler of the Ames Police Department. Taylor has a court date scheduled for Friday at 8:30 a.m.

Taylor's citation for fifth degree theft came one day after he submitted a written plea of innocence to the fourth degree criminal mischief charges.

That arrest came out of an incident Feb. 4 at an apartment complex on Frederiksen Court in Ames.

According to police records, Taylor discharged a fire extinguisher, damaged a light cover, pulled down an exit sign and poured liquid on a wall. The incident, which caused more than $200 damage, is classified as a serious misdemeanor.

According to the Iowa Code, Taylor's punishment could include a fine between $250 and $1,500 if found guilty. Taylor has a June 7 trail date on those charges.

2. mapnerd

mapnerd Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Male
    Ames
    Cold medicine? You have to be kidding me. Must have been a real bad cold.

3. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    What's worse? Committing a serious theft or risking your collegiate basketball career for something that costs 11 dollars?

4. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    Typical thief

5. JRE1975

JRE1975 Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    I know everyone will want a decision from Greg soon on Taylor's status, but I will be surprised if we hear anything before the June 7th court action is done. To be safe Greg really should wait until then.

6. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    That sucks, generic brands are usually cheaper.

7. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Why the hell would you steal cold medicine? Either he was really sick or he was making meth or some other drug. Whats worse, cold medicine or $4 and a cell phone?

Whatever, Good bye Mike Taylor.

8. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    If the views that Mike has an alcohol problem are true (DUI from last year and the Feb. 4th incident), I wonder if the cold medicine theft is linked to that.

9. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I'll go with the 4 bucks and the phone, unless Mike jacked the checkout clerk.

10. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Good point, and I agree.

11. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Naw you have to get the stuff that makes your nose stop running over the cell phone.

12. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    In the event that Greg feels we'd need another guard should Mike be removed from the team, we could find out the verdict via recruiting info before something official from ISU on Mike.

If there is any doubt that Mike won't be with us in '07 and G-Mac feels we need a guard to fill that spot, it would be tough for him to wait until June.

Who knows what will happen, this situation just stinks.

13. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    We won't probably fill Mikes Spot. Wes Eichmier (SP) is taking that Scholly. We also have enough shooting guards comming in.

14. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I think that a vast majority of college kids could be accused of having an alcohol problem, if two alcohol-related incidents constitute alcoholism. I know people who have only drank a handful of times, but were dumb enough to drive during those - their problem wasn't with alcohol, it was with decision-making and their personal sense of responsibility.

Cloned4Life had a great post HERE about just waiting until we get all of the info instead of speculating too much. Not a personal attack on anyone - we just don't want the rumors and pointing fingers to take over the actual story.

15. mvsta

mvsta New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Cold medicine? I thought Kenny Pratt drank all of the Nyquil in Ames.

16. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Poor decision making. Alcohol issues.

Both are problems. Mike's two prior issues involved both bad decisions and alcohol.

Again, never did I call him an alcoholic. I have no idea. I know what I've been told, but that's a different story.

I'm just asked a question based on what has been perceived of the previous incidents.

I've heard all the things Cloned has, Mike has been busting his butt so far in the off-season. That's what makes all of this so confusing. Why would a guy that's working so hard for something make such foolish decisions and possibly throw it all away?

Speculation is what this message board is about. While some have already written him off for '07 and others are justifying his actions...I just want to discuss the issue. What do we know, what happened, why and what could this mean for Mike and ISU?

That type of speculation happens here each and every day and short of burning our players/coaches/program at the stake, I see no issues with it.

Without speculation, this would be a rather dull place.

17. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I believe that the phrase "having an alcohol problem" is a very common way of nicely calling someone an alcoholic; this is why people have percieved your comments that way, although I now understand you didn't mean them that way. I wasn't attacking you - I was just illustrating a fine line.

I agree that, without speculation, this would be a dull place indeed. My only point was that discussing the issue is one thing. Talking about how the team would be affected, what the possible actions taken might be, etc. Name-calling and wild guesses/damnations of his character are what I wanted to discourage, no matter who your sources are. Like I said in my last post - this paragraph is not pointed at anyone in particular. If you want an example of what false speculation can lead to, look at the info that was being leaked all over the media last night about the VT shootings.

18. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    #18 ISUFan22, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
    I thought I made it clear I didn't think Mike has an alcohol problem, but my question was based on the views by others that he does. Apparently I didn't make this clear enough.

Not once did I think that you attacked me.

19. zimman18

zimman18 Member

I guess Taylor got sick of having the ball stolen from him this year and felt like stealing something of his own.... SO STUPID!!! WHY!!!!

20. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I haven't seen anyone trying to justify his actions (and I hope I don't have to see any of that). What he did was just plain stupid.