Distant Cousins Dating. Is this weird?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CyJunkie, Nov 28, 2013.

1. CyJunkie

CyJunkie New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Ames
    Hi, I'm a long time reader on this site and would like some of your honest opinions.

My daughter is currently dating her 3rd cousin, and my husband and I don't know what to think about it. We've talked to some people about this, and they say that there is nothing wrong with this, but I think they are saying that to be nice. We live in a small community where I know people will eventually find out about this and make their own judgements.

What do some you think about this? Is this weird? Please give your honest opinion.

2. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Well, if you believe in the story of Adam and Eve, everybody is related to everyone else.

3. CycloneNorth

CycloneNorth Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That's pretty weird to me. 4th cousin is as close as I will generally go.

4. theantiAIRBHG

theantiAIRBHG Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    Hiawatha, IA
    If you don't mind having a grand kid with an arm sticking out of their forehead you should be ok.

5. TXCyclones

TXCyclones Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    TX
    Many royal families were comprised of marriages MUCH closer than third cousins. People will judge regardless. **** 'em. Let the kids be happy.

6. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Weird to me. But she should be allowed to do what she wants.

7. ISUCyclones2015

ISUCyclones2015 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Is your daughter hot? :jimlad:

8. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Fed Govt
    Parts Unknown
    Hell they're hardly related at all. It's perfectly fine.

9. jaretac

jaretac Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    Peoples reaction is going to primarily based on the word cousin and not on the third in front of it.

With that said, I would have a hard time with this as a parent and would never dream of dating anyone I can trace my roots too just because it would seem creepy to me (as I said most of that is a reaction to the word cousin even though I know that is why it doesn't help to know).

The other aspect to consider is genetics and how that will influence any children. My wife's grandma and grandpa were 2nd cousins. There is a degenerate eye disease that is carried by few individuals but can only be passed to kids if both parents have it. As a result 4 of their kids are legally blind. If they had married other people most likely their kids would have been fine, but since they were related they both had the gene.

10. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    The common ancestor for 3rd cousins is four generations removed. Not likely to create mutations in offspring. :)

Given the fact that modern American families tend to relocate, frequently, I wouldn't be surprised if a great many of us have dated third cousins without knowing it.

Let 'em date!

11. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    It's a little weird, but would not be frowned upon by the law - I'm pretty sure they could marry in any state. We had a neighbor growing up that had to go to Alabama to get married. I don't know what the exact relationship was, but it was something like first cousin, once removed.

12. CyJunkie

CyJunkie New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Ames
    Well I did talk to a geneticist and he said people do this more than you would think. He said that there wouldn't be any problems with having kids with any kind of defects.

13. Sparkplug

Sparkplug Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Farmer
    Central Iowa
    #13 Sparkplug, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    They are dating. Nothing was said about getting married. Third cousins means their grandparents were first cousins. Third cousins is getting far enough down the line that it is no big deal. I do a lot of geneology research and families are so intertwined it would be hard not to be related to most everybody in a small town/county

14. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    I'd probably post this over on HawkeyeNation....they tend to have more experience with kissing cousins. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. CysRage

CysRage Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Well there's your answer. As long as your daughter and her boyfriend have no problems with it I wouldn't worry about it.

16. Cyclonetrombone

Cyclonetrombone Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    American Red Cross
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I grew up in a town where I was could trace my relations to easily 75% of the student population. Her 3rd cousin is what... your cousin's daughter? This happened regularly in DeWitt and then we were always having giant extended family reunions so it was funny when those couples showed up it was usually entertaining because that particular generation is blissfully unaware of genealogy. The benefit... at least you know the in laws. ha.

17. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Einstein was married to his cousin. I had some distant family who did the same thing. I would never go that route, but the real question is are they happy? Plenty of people get together who are not related and shouldn't. Third cousin is getting distant and more of that goes on in these small rural community's than you think.

18. IceCyIce

IceCyIce Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Safety Man
    Grimes
    Obviously you like to keep it in the family

19. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    I don't think it is weird that they are dating ... now if they are shagging then that is weird to me.

20. Tedcyclone

Tedcyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    vegas hedge fund
    West Des Moines
    I say it doesnt matter. Relax and ask yourself what the real issue is? Is it a future genetic issue if they are older and kids may be in future? If yes, ask a doctor. Do some online research.

If its simply a moral issue for you, then figure why that is, and work through it.

If its because you fear what other people think, get over it, other people are idiots.