Did we really win on Friday?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Cyinthenorth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    Yes, yes, I know the outcome of the game, and I realize ISU gets to add a tally in the win column. But watching the game and then a replay of the game, I just did not feel at all that ISU was the better team in the matchup. Atrocious defense, and did not hustle as much. Got out-rebounded tremendously, and trailed for 35 out of 40 minutes. Gave too many open looks and second chance points, and though it was better in the 2nd half, gave up way too many baskets in transition.

I'm grateful for the win, but I almost take more negative away from the game than positive. I know I'll take flak for this, but I can't ignore the warning signs I saw in that game. Bad defense, getting bullied inside, and sloppy ball movement. I love the wins, and it is true that good teams find ways to win games, but Iowa State did not look very good on Friday, even in the midst of victory. We will move up 3-4 spots in the rankings this week, probably, but the target on our backs is just getting larger and larger. Iowa exposed several weak spots in our game, and like Fred said after the game, without the crowd factor and Hilton Magic, this game would have gone to Iowa. Fred and the boys have some work to do.

2. Bewilderme

Bewilderme Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Minneapolis
    And yet, if you frame it positively we won despite not playing our best game. That's the mark of champions.

3. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    A win is win is a win.

4. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    We gave up "too many open looks", specifically around the rim, to avoid foul trouble. It was in the game plan. I'd rather take my chances with Aaron White getting open layups and keeping Ejim, Niang, and Hogue in the whole game than challenging every shot down near the hoop.

5. cstrunk

cstrunk Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Field Engineer
    Tyler, TX
    What's even better is we played like that and WON.

6. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Do we have to do this again? Can't we just enjoy the win. Knowing we beat a quality team without playing our best is enough for me. Why must we look for a negative?

7. Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ames
    The point of basketball is to score more points. It doesn't matter if it was ugly or if you only had a lead for a short period of time. Iowa didn't do what they had to and we took advantage of that and won.

8. Cyinthenorth

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    Having a hard time framing it that way. You see, Iowa presented a real test for ISU, possibly the best team they've faced so far (no, I'm not kidding). While they won, they looked extremely average doing so. I'm more in the party that thinks ISU didn't play their best game, but Iowa had a hand in making it that way. They (Iowa) were able to poke holes in a poor defensive scheme all night long. Missed a lot of open shots, especially at the end with McCabe missing the 3, followed by several missed put-back attempts due to ISU not being able to rebound the ball. A win is great, like I said, but my outlook is bleak until I see ISU finally play a complete game again.

9. hexodat64

hexodat64 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ames, IA and MN
  10. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    I'm starting to get real f*ing tired of the chicken little's and debbie downer's on this site. Relax, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    I see what you are saying, but it doesn't matter if a team leads for 39:59 seconds or if they lead for 1 second. All that matters is the scoreboard after the final buzzer sounded. Lots to work on, but CFH still has 6 more days to work out those issues before the Diamond Head Classic. We've got time.

12. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    It does feel similar to last week's win against UNI. Somewhat disappointing, but not discouraging. It is good that we can win while playing poorly, but it should not take 30 minutes to get going. The good news is that the past two years we have dropped games to such programs in the non-conference and got things righted by the middle of Big 12 play.

13. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    I seem to remember a game against the hoks where ISU pretty much led the whole game only to lose in the last few seconds. Too lazy to look it up. I'm thinking maybe around 1998 or so. I'm pretty sure if you look at the official UofI sports website there is an asterisk next to that score - explaining that even though Iowa scored more points - most of their fans consider it a loss since they were behind the whole game.

Not

14. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    I'd much rather look "average" against a good team and win than look horrible against a bad team and win.

15. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Yes, we won...I was there. Two pretty equal teams went at it for 38.5 minutes and then one team had the talent to put it away when it counted. I think it feels like Iowa did so well because they did a lot better than all of us thought they would. But there is not a single part of me that thinks the better team didn't win.

• Like Like x 2
  16. allday4cy

allday4cy Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Waterloo, IA
    I am not worried at all-we won!! North Carolina lost at home to Belmont and Michigan State almost lost to Columbia and Oakland. ISU showed mental toughness and got the job done

17. cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5 Active Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Ames
    Yes, we really did.

18. Cyinthenorth

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    I realize I'm being ridiculous with my rant, but I was hoping to out-class our biggest rivals. Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I'll shut up and take the win. Seemed like Kane was pressing a lot more than in other games and wasn't really a huge factor in the game, kind of similar to how Lucious looked against the Hoks last year. Oh well, still an undefeated team. I'm insane to complain about anything, really. /rant

19. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Can you imagine what they are going to do when we actually lose a game?

20. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Exactly