Destiny Vote

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by wartknight, Jul 9, 2007.

?

Voting Yes or No?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2007.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    78.4%
  1. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Yes to Yes or No to Yes

2. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Clive
    The government has enough of my money that they cannot spend properly, why do they need more? I say raise the taxes on all properties above $300,000 both business and residential, we will see if they still support the plan.

3. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    I would have voted "yes" if they would have spent the extra money on providing more public hunting land but since they just want to improve bike trails (yes I know that isn't the only thing) I'm going to vote "no" tomorrow. Also per the Rag yesterday it showed that I would have saved $120.00 per year on property taxes but my family would have spent over $200.00 more per year in sales tax.

4. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Hell no because either way they are gonna get the money either through sales or property tax. Plus I don't trust this because the past 2 tax accessments to my house have been rediculous and I don't buy for a minute this means next time I don't get another big hike. Will just be a new need and excuse I'm sure. At least this tax I can control by voting no...

5. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Absolutely not. The government takes enough of my money as it is, and wastes most of it. I will vote no for every tax initiative from here to eternity until the government becomes accountable to the people it serves.

6. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    #6 ISUAlum2002, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
    I really hope tomorrow's vote ends up with the same percentages we're currently at. An 80/20 beatdown will ensure that we won't have to beat this proposal into submission over and over like we did back in 98/99 for the school tax votes.

7. acody

acody Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Your survey is great idea, but the more important question is: "are you going to vote tomorrow"? We need a great turn out to blast Project Destiny away for good. Does anyone really believe their property taxes will be reduced? This whole cultural/arts improvement agenda is completely subjective and will not benefit most of us. Essentially, this is a 16% sales tax increase which is robbery. I'm an Ankeny/Polk County taxpayer who is paying over $3600 anually for property taxes. As I drive around this community and count the massive number of houses times an average/approximate $3600 property tax, I compute an incredible amount of money. It's also a regressive tax.
    VOTE NO BECAUSE YOU'LL GET NO BENEFIT FROM THIS SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I'm for the trails, but I like your "nature" areas idea too.

But I agree, another tax like this is money wasted. And in the end IMO this isn't about providing more income for "cultural attractions" but to give businesses a wealthier property owners a bigger property tax break.

9. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Absolutely NO!!! Agree completely with acody and Cyclonepride! Please encourage everyone you know who is opposed to this to go out and VOTE!!!!!

10. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I'll cross-post part of my post from another thread:

This tax is just giving the government more control of your money. If a bunch of bike trail lovers want to raise money for trail improvements, there are plenty of people willing to contribute to that cause. Please just don't make people who could care less about them help pay for it.

I already voted this morning and would encourage everyone to vote in Dallas, Polk, and Warren counties today. For one of the few times, we have a direct say in the amount of money the government takes from us.

11. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    I believe I would actually save money by voting for this tax increase but I'm still voting no.

12. joepublic

joepublic Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Editorial
    Ankeny
    Thank you for saying that. Some of these yaboos are convinced that bikers are the root of all taxation evil. They are really nice people!

13. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    You may....until your next property tax assessment comes around. They will just artificially inflate your property value in order to collect more tax on it (at the slightly lower rate that Destiny will offer).

I would imagine the renting crowd would not be thrilled at all about this.

14. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Have you seen some of these places they want to improve the bike trails on? I wouldn't be caught alone on them when the sun starts to set...

For instance 1 place they want to put a tunnel under the road is on Euclid by the old Target. Not the most well-lit area to begin with an now you want a lighted tunnel where the lights will probably get busted out and an easy place for someone to hide. Great idea. How about using money to clean up some of the crappy properties before trying to put things like bike trails through them?

15. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Would be nice if at least one of the 14 folks that voted yes here would explain their reasoning for such...

16. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    The Register did a chart on this on sunday. For my family in Ankeny, we would save about $240 a year in property taxes. We would also spend about $500 more in sales tax. Sounds like I am voting no.

17. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    They are good little lemming democrats that never found a tax increase they did not like.

Yeah yeah, I know republicans are evil too.. I agree, I hate them both.

18. joepublic

joepublic Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Editorial
    Ankeny
    That would single out people for abuse. Might be kind of fun!

19. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Abuse? No. (well, some immature people would, but it's par for the course).

A debate that would allow us to see what the other side is thinking? I'd hope so.

20. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    I can see one group of people in favor of this. Older couples or Singles that own nice propterties, or people that own rental properties would be for this. A bigger portion of their expenses are in property taxes.