Defund the Daily...

Discussion in 'Campus Life' started by Transient, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Pat

Pat Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    My main takeaway from this thread: I am shocked that kids no longer bring the physical paper to class to do crosswords and sudoku. Cellphones and laptops, I guess. #old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    I was WAY smarter when I was in college and my beliefs were the only beliefs worth believing. I was part of the Veteran's Info Center and we had an on-going war with the student government (Bomshad Mobascher or something like that?) about patriotism. I sat at more than a few tables handing out little flags or us constitutions and being a recently separated military member was fairly entrenched in the love it or leave it crowd.

I've grown - just leave it! Kidding... Any who - I stand by my original generalization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Bet they think a #2 is a deuce and not a pencil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bu4ISU

Bu4ISU Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Student
    Ames
    We get the daily delivered everyday to our house (I'm not actually sure if they deliver) but anyways it's always there by the time I wake up for morning cereal and coffee, and I give it a nice read.

5. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    The OhIowa State University
    Those damn things are still around.

The pencils, that is. ISU loves bubble tests. However, it's apparent that they never taught any faculty members that #2 pencil lead is also found in mechanical pencils (which every student has)... So, I don't really know why they specify #2 anymore. That's basically the only type that exists anymore outside of an art room.

6. They day they killed the "Just Sayin's" is the day the Daily died to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Cyched

Cyched Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Ames
    Agreed.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    My (former, obviously) good friend was an editor for the Daily when they took out the "Just Sayin's."

She said something along the lines of how "she understands why people are mad and knows the Daily can do better to make sure racist comments stay out of the section, but the comment was too harsh for them to continue the section."

9. SCNCY

SCNCY Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    La Fox, IL
    I don't think I ever saw racist comments in the just sayin section. I saw things like "hey hottie in the library, you should talk to me." Additionally, wouldn't the daily screen those comments before putting them in the paper anyway?

10. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    They do screen them, the one that made the paper was cleared by whoever did the screening.

The comment was something along the lines of "There are too many squinties on campus," in which the person who cleared the "Just Sayin'" believed they were talking about chipmunks, however some Asian students felt the Just Sayin' was aimed at them.

11. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I always found it ironic that the newspaper quit doing the "just sayin" portion because of their own inability to do their job. It was like they were trying to punish the student population when in reality they were the ones that goofed up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2