Defund the Daily...

Discussion in 'Campus Life' started by Transient, Sep 27, 2016.

1. StanleySteamer

Sep 9, 2016
    Back in my day..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Professional Grass Kicker
    La La Land
    I'd be interested in knowing the amount of papers the Daily prints every day vs the amount that are actually used.

3. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    To me, it sounds like a perfect opportunity for some individual or group to rebut the article. Especially, since they threw the first punch, you can break their argument down piece by piece and shove it back in their faces. This is America dammit! Everyone has the right to say (write) what they think! Provided that they print the rebuttal....

4. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I think that is the main beef (no pun intended). They failed to publish or acknowledge the rebuttal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    F you cable dude!

6. SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    College is a place for the utes of tomorrow to express their poorly formed opinions. Remember, most of these "kids" are right in that sweet spot where they still think they know everything.

7. SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Most booties don't wipe themselves. And you can't see the newsprint smear unless you're limber enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    I'd guess 10-15% are actually read.

9. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Please repost the article, I'm sure you'll have a receptive audience here. (until Breck, Historic, and Stanley find it)

10. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Professional Grass Kicker
    La La Land
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't put it over 25-30%.

11. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    So this isn't directly related but it does occur on a University Campus (KU) and similar type area, this time a YAF meeting. It's amazing these "safe space" whiners, and they need a decent amount of space, cause all kinds of tension and potential violence. NSFW.

She complains that as a "black lady" I've got to deal with walking by white people. Umm, yes, yes you do. And that is racist thinking. Freedom of speech allows people to say anything they want, including your tirade.

12. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Got me. I should've read the article.:(;)

13. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    To be fair to you, I didn't either. I just got that from all of the comments here.

14. NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Student
    Ames
    yeah tell us about your days working for the Kirkwood Community college newspaper.

15. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    The OhIowa State University
    #55 MeowingCows, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Having beliefs != knowing everything. That's silly generalization. There are people that are college age that have fairly well-developed beliefs, although they may be contrary to yours. Did you not go to college yourself? When I look around on campus every single day, I see this political stuff happening, but how much attention is actually paid to it? Basically none. By basically, I mean one or two people may have a table set up for whatever belief they hold, and are yelling at hundreds of kids walking by. The vast majority of the bystanders just keep on walkin'.

Yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease (or at least is the loudest noise around), but it's not like every single college student is like this. It's an extreme minority that subscribe to that type of stuff. It's not nearly as popular and controlling as the internet makes it sound, no matter if you spend all your time on Tumblr saying it does, or do the same thing from the opposite aisle on 4chan or wherever. The short version is likely that nobody else cares about your beliefs, and doesn't want those beliefs forcibly impressed upon themselves. Some people get that hint better than others, though, and there will always be perpetual victims of any and all situations.

16. MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    I suppose the rant wasn't necessary, but it seemed like this type of stuff was being generalized to all college kids. Trust me: it's not everyone. It's not even close to a majority of college kids -- the majority of kids just flat-out don't care.

<returns to complaining about Ag kids complaining about Daily kids complaining about Ag>

17. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    She / they invaded a group that was named Young Americans for Freedom. Do you not see the irony? Some are taking this idea and going so far as to advocate for a separate African-American Dorm in places. It's crazy.

18. MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Oh yeah, it's totally bonkers and I see that. They have the right to believe what they want, same as everyone else, but for them to try to force it on others in such a way is asinine. Trying to impress your beliefs on others is not a great way to garner support (from both on-the-fencers, and also from people who just don't care).

19. im4cyclones

im4cyclones Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ames, IA
    My gosh, that video is unbelievable. Please tell me that stuff doesn't happen at ISU.

20. MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    It doesn't happen at ISU.