Death to Cyclone Alley!

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by JUKEBOX, Nov 14, 2010.

1. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    This is a bad turnout. Should Cyclone Alley be abolished?

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Cyclone Alley has slim to no effect on attendance. People buying tickets however, does. People like to *****, but getting rid of Cyclone Alley isn't going to magically fix attendance. A good basketball team will.

3. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    I was told that student tickets were sold out. If so, where are they?

4. CyBroncos

CyBroncos Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    It's a Sunday 1 p.m. tip against a bad opponent, did you expect a jam packed frenzied Hilton?

5. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Death to Cyclone Ally? How about death to the entire building then? Where are all the alums? Where are all the folks from around Ames that are Cyclone fans? Jesus I can't figure out the obsession with bashing the student turnout .

Team wins + NCAA tourny's = good crowds.

5 years of crappy basketball + 2nd game vs alabama st = crappy crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  6. EveryYardForISU

Nov 9, 2009
    Ames
    Personally I have never purchased student season tickets because of Cyclone Alley. I do not want to pay extra for the SAA membership, buy that shirt and have to wear it every game, participate in those rediculous chants, etc. The $99 season ticket package is a more attractive option for me and my fellow Cyclone basketball fans.

7. RING4CY

RING4CY Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Photographer
    Ames, IA
    So, abolish the student section? They essentially are one in the same.

8. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    If you don't want the SAA membership, when you sign up, just say "already have SAA" and you can sign up for CA only.

Regardless, the $99 tickets are fine. Its your choice to spend $60 less and sit up higher. Nothing wrong with that.

9. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Looking at the crowd, fans are sprinkled around in every parquet section.
    Oh wait...then you look at student sections 121-122-123 in the parquet...they're totally empty.

10. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I will forgo judging student turnout until football season is over and we get into better teams.

I don't like CA but they have no effect on attendance IMO.

11. jsmith86

jsmith86 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cedar Rapids
    Thats what you get with 5 years of a team that is horrendous. Maybe for you older folks it seems bad, but for many students, basketball turned into more of an "eh, I'm bored, lets go to a basketball game" type thing, rather than something they wanted to go to.

12. tman24

tman24 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Half the season tickets owners didnt show up should we abolish that as well?

You old people need to find something better to complain about. Its the 2nd game of the season. There are better things to do today.

13. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
    People not at the game should not complain about people not at the game.

14. tman24

tman24 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Thank you.

15. IowaStateClones

IowaStateClones Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Engineer
    Another factor for lack of students is the fact that it is the last week before Thanksgiving break. This is the week where every teacher likes to cram a test in. I would like to be at the game but 3 tests this week kind of trumps that.

16. tzjung

tzjung Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Male
    Health Care Technology
    Ankeny, IA
    Sorry guys...but there are lots of us driving back from Boulder. Supporting our team trying to become bowl eligible in our last game against Colorado seemed a higher priority for me than a home BBall game against a patsy.

17. istater7

istater7 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    they really like the cyclone power chant don't they? it sounds like crap on the radio, probably since there's not enough people there to make it sound good

18. vortex

vortex Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Maybe the students are helping combine the last of the corn.

19. CyAg

CyAg Well-Known Member

May 22, 2006
    How to change for the future...

I have 4 seats and could not make the game, but there are 4 in our seats, so I can comment.

Personal opinion - I think this is an opportunity to both motivate students and donors.

You could make the argument to give only 1 side to the students, (or the first x rows of both sides.) This would encourage them to step up.

Then with the remaining seats you could get creative and do special donor packages. Let them have the seats (depending on what row, arena or parquet) behind the baskets for $150-$250/parquet ticket and lower the donation to $500-$1,000 for behind basket parquet. I would also suggest making clear that the prices may go up if demand requires it.

There are many variations of this concept (locations, seat and donor pricing, etc), but it would give donors up top a chance to move down and get a taste or Parquet, while motivating students to show up.

Again it has its variations and pros/cons, but there might be some merits to the concept.

Just some random thoughts.

20. ken

ken Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Here is a picture of Cyclone Alley right at tip - this is so sad...there were less than 150 people in both CA sections - so few I could actually count them.