Dear America - Iowa Doesn't Care What You Think

itslow

Jan 29, 2010
Really, what's so big about it?
It was big in a bygone era, now just a step-up from TaxSlayer etc.

So that's why 60K (or whatever hell number is being quoted now) Hawkeye fans traveled to Pasadena? The Rose Bowl is your "Super Bowl". It is not "just a step-up" from the TaxSlayer.com bowl.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So that's why 60K (or whatever hell number is being quoted now) Hawkeye fans traveled to Pasadena? The Rose Bowl is your "Super Bowl". It is not "just a step-up" from the TaxSlayer.com bowl.

35-40k is the realistic number which is better than I thought

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
From ESPN's Ted Miller: Reranking college football's New Year's Six teams

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ootball-playoff-teams-made-new-year-six-bowls

10. Iowa: Wisconsin and Nebraska beating USC and UCLA in bowl games boosted the Hawkeyes' weak regular-season résumé, but they didn't beat any highly ranked teams this season and they got romped by Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Iowa had a good season, but it's pretty clear this wasn't an elite team.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
From ESPN's Ted Miller: Reranking college football's New Year's Six teams

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ootball-playoff-teams-made-new-year-six-bowls

10. Iowa: Wisconsin and Nebraska beating USC and UCLA in bowl games boosted the Hawkeyes' weak regular-season résumé, but they didn't beat any highly ranked teams this season and they got romped by Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Iowa had a good season, but it's pretty clear this wasn't an elite team.

I'll take a top-10 finish.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
I'll take a top-10 finish.

After being ranked as high as 4th only a few weeks ago.

Yes, of course you are supposed to say you are happy with 10th. But the way you ended the season, losing to a mediocre Mich St team, and getting embarrassed in the Rose Bowl, the opportunities lost will far outweigh your #10 rankings for as long as you will live.

In 20 years, ask iowa fans if they remember where the football team finished in the end of the 2015-2016 season poll. 99% of them will not know exactly where they finished. 80% of them won't even know they had 12 wins that year.

But, ask them what happened to iowa in the Rose Bowl against Stanford, and 100% of hok fans will remember, vividly.

Good luck with that.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Yes, of course you are supposed to say you are happy with 10th. But the way you ended the season, losing to a mediocre Mich St team, and getting embarrassed in the Rose Bowl, the opportunities lost will far outweigh your #10 rankings for as long as you will live.

In 20 years, ask iowa fans if they remember where the football team finished in the end of the 2015-2016 season poll. 99% of them will not know exactly where they finished. 80% of them won't even know they had 12 wins that year.

But, ask them what happened to iowa in the Rose Bowl against Stanford, and 100% of hok fans will remember, vividly.

Good luck with that.

Haha, yeah, I'll take that bet.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames

Good luck with that.

Haha, yeah, I'll take that bet.

And this one too?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Good luck with that.

50% will probably be wearing the orange and blue of the Illinois Fighting Illini when asked the question.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Do you think Iowa ends top 10? I'd guess #12. They got exposed as probably worse than that but beating Iowa State in Ames will probably carry some weight for them

Beating a big 12 team doesn't carry much weight. Heck isu only played 4 teams that won their bowl games (and lost - and one was a mac team), while Iowa beat three teams that won theirs.

As such, I'd expect #9

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Beating a big 12 team doesn't carry much weight. Heck isu only played 4 teams that won their bowl games (and lost - and one was a mac team), while Iowa beat three teams that won theirs.

As such, I'd expect #9

Not saying you're wrong about your ranking prediction, but if you think voters are going to think that hard about the most pointless ranking of the year, you're crazy.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I would say they end up 10-12. They could be better next year especially if Ott gets another year and King is coming back.

Help Support Us

Become a patron