Cyclone Paint Colors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by every_yard, Aug 27, 2010.

1. every_yard

every_yard Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I am looking at getting some paint in Iowa State colors. I am wanting the four colors in our logo (the Cardinal, Cardinal Shade, Gold, & Gold Shade). I got the RGB codes for these colors off, but how am I able to get paint in these colors. Will any stores be able to mix paint based off the RGB numbers or will I need to bring something in to the store that they can match the color off of (a shirt, poster, or something along those lines). I would prefer to be able to use the RGB code...just b/c I think I would be able to get a more accurate color based off that, but I'm not sure if any places do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BirdOfWar

BirdOfWar Member

May 3, 2010
    Ankeny, IA

If you go to Home Depot, Glidden has a whole booklet full of official colors for NCAA, NBA and NFL teams. I have gotten two of the four ISU colors there. I know they were able to get me the correct colors in Behr paint as well.

I'm guessing other home improvement stores will also have something similar.
  3. superfan

superfan Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    AST, GN&C
    League City, TX
    I'll chime in as I just painted my home office Cardinal Red and went through the ordeal.

I didn't have any luck with a store matching the RGB values, or the Pantone number. You do have a couple of options, though.

-Since the colors are specified with PMS (Pantone) numbers as well, you can go to and get paint that EXACTLY matches the color. However, it's not cheap.

-You can go to the store with something "close" and hope they can match it

-There is a website that will compare the RGB values to various types of commercial paint and give you the delta-E value. From there you can find the colors you want. I can find it when I get home and PM it to you, if you like.
  4. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Sherwin Williams has the true colors for Iowa State.