ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'M BACK. Well, back as can be.

My apologies for being out sick all week. Apparently it was time for my annual bout with an illness that would kill many over the age of 65 - this time pneumonia.

I'm feeling better though and am sitting up in my office for the first time this week. Feels good.

Worked the phones a lot the last two days on some top priority questions you all have been asking:

Here are a few tasty Cyclone nuggets...

Kamari Cotton-Moya: There really isn't an answer to this lingering question at this point. My top source on the matter says it's 50-50. Kamari has a lot of family stuff going on back home. I think we all knew that. There might be more on his plate as far as a family situation goes that we know of as well. This truly is a wait and see. Of course, Iowa State would love to have him back but also wants him back only if he WANTS to be at Iowa State.

Attrition: Expect there to be more of it this offseason (this is pretty much always the case anymore). I do not think it is going to be major like we saw a year ago after the coaching change though.

Recruiting: The Matt Leo commitment a few nights ago was big time for this classes momentum as the 2016 calendar will be turning soon.

I just got curious the other night asked a couple of sources besides talent, what specifically are the coaches looking for these days? Body type? Attitude?

Both said "for football to be these guys' No. 1 priority." One source used Leo as an example... apparently came to this country a few years ago with a few thousand bucks and a dream to play D-1. I don't know the full details but Leo seems to have really made a mental impact on the program already. They are expecting big things.

The general sense around this outgoing senior class was that football was not their top priority.

Source pointed out what the staff was able to do with guys like Brian Seda, who were obsessed with getting better at football. They want a whole team of heart guys.

Stay tuned.

Kam White: A lot of talk out there about him and Ole Miss. He's still committed to Iowa State. I'm hearing that Ole Miss wants him as a packaged deal with teammate, Cam Akers. Sounds like for Ole Miss, Akers would be the primary "get" here. I'm not sure how this plays out but I still think White will end up at Iowa State. If he doesn't, I'd say there is a better chance of academics interfering than another school. Please to not label this as a prediction though. Recruiting is so weird (especially at a high level) and changes by the minute. Just with the info I have, it's where I'm at on the topic as of now.

Hoops lineup: Last but not least, will Steve Prohm make a lineup change for tomorrow's game vs. Drake? One source said Prohm was 50-50 on the idea. Only one spot is being considered: Obviously that's the five. Merrill Holden has underperformed compared to what Iowa State thought it was getting. Solomon Young's thumb injury early on didn't help things as far as this position on the court goes. I think if Steve makes a change right now, it will be starting Darrell Bowie at the five and not Young. Could be Young in the future though. Stay tuned. Not even sure he will make a move, yet. I do believe one will come in the future.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

My apologies for being out sick all week. Apparently it was time for my annual bout with an illness that would kill many over the age of 65 - this time pneumonia.

I'm feeling better though and am sitting up in my office for the first time this week. Feels good.

Worked the phones a lot the last two days on some top priority questions you all have been asking:

Here are a few tasty Cyclone nuggets...

Kamari Cotton-Moya: There really isn't an answer to this lingering question at this point. My top source on the matter says it's 50-50. Kamari has a lot of family stuff going on back home. I think we all knew that. There might be more on his plate as far as a family situation goes that we know of as well. This truly is a wait and see. Of course, Iowa State would love to have him back but also wants him back only if he WANTS to be at Iowa State.

Attrition: Expect there to be more of it this offseason (this is pretty much always the case anymore). I do not think it is going to be major like we saw a year ago after the coaching change though.

Recruiting: The Matt Leo commitment a few nights ago was big time for this classes momentum as the 2016 calendar will be turning soon.

I just got curious the other night asked a couple of sources besides talent, what specifically are the coaches looking for these days? Body type? Attitude?

Both said "for football to be these guys' No. 1 priority." One source used Leo as an example... apparently came to this country a few years ago with a few thousand bucks and a dream to play D-1. I don't know the full details but Leo seems to have really made a mental impact on the program already. They are expecting big things.

The general sense around this outgoing senior class was that football was not their top priority.

Source pointed out what the staff was able to do with guys like Brian Seda, who were obsessed with getting better at football. They want a whole team of heart guys.

Stay tuned.

Kam White: A lot of talk out there about him and Ole Miss. He's still committed to Iowa State. I'm hearing that Ole Miss wants him as a packaged deal with teammate, Cam Akers. Sounds like for Ole Miss, Akers would be the primary "get" here. I'm not sure how this plays out but I still think White will end up at Iowa State. If he doesn't, I'd say there is a better chance of academics interfering than another school. Please to not label this as a prediction though. Recruiting is so weird (especially at a high level) and changes by the minute. Just with the info I have, it's where I'm at on the topic as of now.

Hoops lineup: Last but not least, will Steve Prohm make a lineup change for tomorrow's game vs. Drake? One source said Prohm was 50-50 on the idea. Only one spot is being considered: Obviously that's the five. Merrill Holden has underperformed compared to what Iowa State thought it was getting. Solomon Young's thumb injury early on didn't help things as far as this position on the court goes. I think if Steve makes a change right now, it will be starting Darrell Bowie at the five and not Young. Could be Young in the future though. Stay tuned. Not even sure he will make a move, yet. I do believe one will come in the future.

Based on results, I'm fine with Bowie starting at the 5, and I think Young deserves to be first off the bench. I'm not giving up on Holden, but maybe coming in off the bench will allow him to be a little more settled when he hits the floor.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
If we're still pretending that these are student-athletes, should football be their #1 priority, or is there more meaning there that I'm not seeing?
Mostly wondering if we're going to keep pretending or not.

I read that as social life, etc as opposed to more important than getting an education.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If we're still pretending that these are student-athletes, should football be their #1 priority, or is there more meaning there that I'm not seeing?
Mostly wondering if we're going to keep pretending or not.

I'd say there's less meaning than you're inferring. I'd guess most of the guys that put football #1 are also some of the better students on the team. I think it refers to a work ethic and focus, and leaving the extracurriculars of being a football player at a Big 12 university out of the equation.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I am preparing my butt for people to start crying about rebounding if we start Bowie because we're going to give a bunch more up.

Hopefully we can shoot 90% as a team from the line that would kind of suppress the crying.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am preparing my butt for people to start crying about rebounding if we start Bowie because we're going to give a bunch more up.

He may not hold position like Holden, but he's active and will rebound out of his area. Going to have to be a team rebounding effort like it has been all year anyway (and we're doing quite well in the category except for the Cincy game).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Glad you are feeling better. And thanks for taking one for the team (I turned 65 this fall)!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Hopefully we can shoot 90% as a team from the line that would kind of suppress the crying.

I don't have access to the analytics, but I'm guessing Bowie has been a more effective rebounder than Holden. I don't dislike Holden, but he just hasn't been as good as Bowie.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'd say there's less meaning than you're inferring. I'd guess most of the guys that put football #1 are also some of the better students on the team. I think it refers to a work ethic and focus, and leaving the extracurriculars of being a football player at a Big 12 university out of the equation.

This is correct.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Agree with that while recognizing the challenge of getting players up to individually excel and max out potential when you keep going for only 2-3 wins a years. Going to be an easier "culture" change with new recruits (and with some on the field success) then having a 5th year senior taking pride in being the best tight end he could be on a 3-9 team. This can change but it's going to need some wins as reward and motivation. It's why we changed coaches, to give this a shot. I am cautiously optimistic.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'd like to know if Prohm makes his decisions on what he actually knows/thinks or by what others outside the program say.

Does anyone else get the feeling it's the latter?

If all he did was listen to fans, Hallice Cooke would have started most of last year and Holden would have been benched three games into the season.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Agree with that while recognizing the challenge of getting players up to individually excel and max out potential when you keep going for only 2-3 wins a years. Going to be an easier "culture" change with new recruits (and with some on the field success) then having a 5th year senior taking pride in being the best tight end he could be on a 3-9 team. This can change but it's going to need some wins as reward and motivation. It's why we changed coaches, to give this a shot. I am cautiously optimistic.

I think you're putting the chicken before the egg.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If all he did was listen to fans, Hallice Cooke would have started most of last year and Holden would have been benched three games into the season.

Ha. I didn't say it right...not saying ALL of his decisions...just occasionally I get that feeling. Hopefully I'm 100% wrong.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Our team would consist of Monte, Matt, Nick, Solomon and Jakolby at this point if he listened to fans.

Edit: Forgot Brady Ernst.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron