CW- you did a great job!

Discussion in 'Football' started by Boony, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Boony

Boony Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Boone River
    Been home from the bowl for a few hours now and I was thinking about the great job you did at the pregame show that was shown on the big screen at the stadium. After the pep rally we had time to eat and relax for a while and it was fun to have you and the Rutgers guy talkin bout the game. The guy interviewing you was a bit of a tool, but you said some great stuff and got the Cyclone faithful juiced. Wanted to say thanks!

2. Cdubdad

Cdubdad New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Chris it must have been a special moment at the pregame show when it came up on the big screen. Thanks to your wife Ashey for a picture with you and the big screen behind you. We are so proud of you and your LOVE for the CYCLONES. Keep up the the good work and see you soon!

3. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    This sounds pretty cool. Had to be a huge highlight to be on the big board at Yankee Stadium :smile:

4. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    My favorite part was when you called Iowa a Cyclone State :yes:

5. cy4prez7

cy4prez7 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Male
    Teacher
    Des Moines
    My favorite part was when they said the players had never been on a boat and you said "well, we have lakes in Iowa". Great job Chris!

6. Boony

Boony Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Boone River
    Your son does a great job representing us fanatics!

7. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

Indeed. That was the best in-stadium pre-game show I've ever seen (even apart from your obvious brilliant contribution).

How long was the interview? 60 minutes? Any chance that we can do something like that using our new big screen? It would be great for helping to get fans into their seats, especially if you do some cool interviews (e.g. former athletes). You, John Walters, Ben Bruns, and Brett Blum would be awesome.

8. JDDCy

JDDCy Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I just wanted to second what everyone has said about Chris and the excellent job he did on the pre-game. The only low point for the Cyclones on the pregame show was the bet between the 2 mayors. Our bushel of sweet corn looked pretty weak compared to the basket of local Jersey products. :skeptical:

9. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Any chance this was taped?

10. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the kind words. Funny thing is, I had no idea that it was going to be broadcast on the big screen until about 2 minutes before we began. I was told that it was a TV deal. When they started testing the Yankee Stadium soCund system mic I about had an accident!

The YES Network produced a solid program. I would have liked to have been able to talk more football than some of the other stuff, but nonetheless if you were all entertained, that's all that really matters.

Cycsk - That's actually not a bad idea at all about doing something like this at JTS. I assume that would be a Cyclone Sports Properties production. I'm not sure if it is something they'd ever want to take on or not. Interesting idea though.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone and I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to the big city!

11. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I dont know how you contained yourself from attacking that Jersey punk...he made me want to vomit just looking at him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    That guy was the sideline reporter for Rutgers Radio.

13. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The pregame show was kind of a Pinstripe Bowl infomercial by YES Network instead of a football pregame show, but it was entertaining.

14. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I dont care who he was. If I were a Rutgers fan and I had to listen to him every game, I would just quit.

PS, that was me who yelled at you and snapped a picture before you guys started up. You looked a bit nervous, thought yelling at you might ease the tension. I'll see if I can upload it, it was easily National Geographic caliber material.

15. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    Yeah, the format was obviously dictated by the Yankees' organization, but it was awesome to see you on the field, especially "knowing" you from Cyclone Fanatic. It's a testament to the quality of reporting you do both on the radio and for this website that they chose you instead of, say, John Walters or a Register reporter. Keep up the good work!

16. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    CW, can you post a link to the pre-game show for all the folks who weren't there to see it in person?

Even Anne Campbell, Ames Mayor, got time on the big screen in her Cyclone gear!

17. Knightfan7

Knightfan7 New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm guessing the Sideline Reporter was Anthony "Fooch" Fuccelli. He's a reporter for Madison Square Garden TV. You'll get no argument from Most RU fans that the guy is well....lacking. Even to us, he's hard to understand.

Rutgers gets all our on air announcers from the local stations. Radio is Chris Carlin (SNY) and Ray Lucas (SNY), Sideline is Fooch (MSG), pre and post is a guy from WFAN, and the weekly show is Bruce Beck from NBC-TV. It can make for some uneven coverage but it's great publicity and keeps our face in the media which is no small accomplishment in this pro dominated area.

18. MissouriCyclone

MissouriCyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Landscape Deisgner
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Yes great job Chris! I'm sure it was a special moment for you!

P.S.- Also liked all the Yankee stuff the YES guy did. Like trying to sell Yankee season tickets.

19. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    One other thing that was cool was that the Iowa State fans were there early and cheering whenever appropriate. The Rutgers fans that were there (most weren't there yet) didn't seem to think the pre-game was a big deal.

They have so much to do in NYC that they seem somewhat callous and no longer to enjoy fully cool things like this. Or maybe we are just hokey farm folks who get too excited about things like this.

20. Knightfan7

Knightfan7 New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Hokey farm folk? Doubt it. It's just it's no big deal to go to NYC for many RU fans. A large # work there and most are within an hours drive. Many have been to Yankee Stadium several times. It's like the beach. I live across the street from the ocean so it's no big deal for me while others can't understand why I'm not there every nice day. We are also know to be a notoriously late arriving crowd in general and the ticket issues with the Will Call just made it worse. Not as bad as the Dodger fans but close.

I equate it to me being a baseball fan. The first and only time I went to Busch Stadium I was there early, walked around to see the arch, had dinner at Mike Shannon's and was in my seat an hour before the game. It was a thrill just to be there.