Cubs/Mediacom

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by cyfan964, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cyfan964

cyfan964 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    4 blocks from the Jack
    First, is the game on ESPN gonna be able to be viewed in Ames by Mediacom users today or is it blacked out?

Second, I heard a rumor that coming in May that they are rezoning and thus Ames won't be blacked out anymore. Anyone know if that holds any water?

2. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Tonight's game is an exclusive national broadcast, meaning no blackout.

No idea on the other question.

3. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Yeah, you should be able to see the game tonight, and I hope to high heaven they rezone.

4. AIT

AIT Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Johnston, IA
    You'd think that eventually MLB would realize it's a bad idea to prevent its fans from watching its product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything ever changes, I'm guessing it'll happen in the offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  5. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    True. I can't imagine them implementing changes after people have ponied up $$$ for extra PPV services...but...Bud is still in charge, so you never know.

6. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

The problem is the current blackout restrictions even apply to the MLB Extra innings package... So if you buy MLB EI and live in Iowa you won't ever get to watch the Cubs on that service... Or the White Sox, Twins, Brewers, Cardinals, and Royals.

7. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    That makes a lot of sense.....WTF.

Being's that Bud's own team is in the NL Central, he of all people should know how ridiculous the blackout rules are here in the midwest. It makes no sense to restrict people from watching your product.

8. superdorf

Iowa needs to be split up... Central IA probably should probably only call the Royals and Twins home...

Council Bluffs... only the Royals. To have the Brewers/Cubs/Sox blacked out in Council Bluffs is insanity.

9. garn91

garn91 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Ankeny
    AFAIK, the only way in Iowa to order Extra Innings is through DirecTV and Comcast Sports Chicago is available state wide on DirecTV's base packages. So unless you're a fan of a non-midwestern team, why waste the money on EI?

Oh, BTW, if you order EI through DirecTV, all of the local teams are still available on EI.

10. superdorf

Thanks... I didn't think that was the case.

11. TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Beer Guy
    W. Des Moines
    Thats because you would typically get the local teams without having to order extra innings.

MLB and Mediacom are the only two companies that I have ever heard that will not allow their customers to pay for a product.

12. Dave19642006

Dave19642006 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Corporate Knuckledragger
    Des Moines
    call Mediacom and ask.... not that hard to do

13. hurdleisu24

hurdleisu24 Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Sep 13, 2008
    New York
    Why call half of the people there don't know or won't say