MLB: Cubs Cut Roster from 58 to 40

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Right-handed pitchers Robert Coello and Thomas Diamond were optioned to Triple-A Iowa. Right-handed pitchers Alberto Cabrera, Rafael Dolis and Kyle Smit were optioned to Double-A Tennessee.

Also, 13 non-roster invitees have been assigned to minor league camp: right-handed pitchers Chris Carpenter, Jay Jackson and Trey McNutt; left-handed pitcher Scott Rice; catchers Steve Clevenger and Chris Robinson; infielders Bryan LaHair, Marquez Smith and Josh Vitters; and outfielders Jim Adduci, Brett Jackson, Lou Montanez and Brad Snyder.

Cubs cut roster down to 40 - Chicago Sun-Times

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nothing earth shattering here. I think the biggest decisions to be made is who gets the utility infielder spot, the #5 spot in the rotation (pretty sure Wells has locked up #4 by now) and the makeup of the bullpen.

I think you can pretty much say these guys are a lock:

1B Pena
2B Baker and DeWitt
3B A-Ram
SS Castro
OF Soriano, Byrd, Colvin, Fukudome
C Soto and Hill

Rotation: Dempster, Garza, Zambrano, Wells
Bullpen: Marmol, Wood, Grabow, Marshall, Samardzija (because he is out of options)
Pitchers that will likely have some kind of role: Silva, Cashner, Russell

That makes 11 position players and 12 pitchers for sure, Russell potentially could be sent down or Silva traded meaning 22 or 23 of the 25 spots are probably filled. Barney, Scales, and Ojeda are battling for the utility infielder spot and probably in that order are the most likely to get it and I'm guessing a 5th OF like Reed Johnson or Fernando Perez is going to get that last spot. For the bullpen or rotation Braden Looper, Todd Wellemeyer, and Casey Coleman are still all in the mix as well. Guys like Matt Camp and Scott Moore have impressed in ST so far but are longshots to make the roster.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Im hoping Samardzija can move to a starter role. I love Marshall and hope he can stay as the long setup man.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Im hoping Samardzija can move to a starter role. I love Marshall and hope he can stay as the long setup man.

From what I've read, it sounds like they really want Cashner as the fifth starter. Samardzija's out of options too, but I guess he could stay in the bullpen.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Samardzija has been a disappointment. He's really struggled with his command the past couple seasons and this is sort of a make or break year for him probably. The Cubs can't run him through waivers because he'd easily be claimed so they have to hope he can figure it out this season with the big club. I think Cashner is the favorite to get the 5th spot in the rotation probably

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I expect Samardzija to be dealt in July when the cubs are trying to upgrade at 2B or OF.

I think he will do well in the bull pen this year though. Nice power arm that can come in and get a K.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ok, I have not been keeping up with the Cubbies at all so far this season. Can any of you give me an update?
Is the best we can hope for 3rd in the Central or can they compete?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Samardzjia get hits harder than any pitcher I can remember. I don't mean that he's giving up the most runs or that he's the worst pitcher I've ever seen, but the balls guys hit off him are just rockets. It's not a good sign when you're consistently giving up hard hit line drives.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
All Samardzjia has is a fastball. His secondary pitches aren't good, and that's putting it lightly. You can get away with overpowering hitters in college but not in the majors. Everyone can hit a fastball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron