CPR's press conference

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyclonestate, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I’m a huge Paul Rhoads fan – so happy he’s the leader of our program. However, I was a little disappointed at his press conference yesterday. This is just my opinion, but I believe Paul made two mistakes.

First, I don’t think Paul should have taken jabs at Notre Dame and Iowa for continuing to recruit Lazard up to the last minute. It seems a little hypocritical to say something like this when all coaches, including Paul, recruit other teams’ commits (e.g., Paul got Jake Campos to flip on his commitment to Missouri). Maybe Paul was bringing this up to point out Lazard’s commitment to his word. If so, he could have made the point without jabbing Iowa and Notre Dame for doing what all teams, including Iowa State, do.

Second, I don’t agree with his decision to make Lazard off limits to the media next year. This only elevates Lazard’s status as being ‘special’ over the other players, and I think that’s the last thing Paul should be doing. Either make all freshmen off limits to the media as they do at Iowa, or make them all available. Don’t single out your star recruit, especially when he’s already demonstrated that he’s a very mature and level headed young man.

Just my opinion.

2. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    OK...glad you got that off your chest.

3. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    You realize he's just doing it to tell the media to p*ss off for everything they did/wrote during Lazard's recruitment right? If they are mad about it they can thank Marty Tirrell

4. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    PR's program and he will run it the way he wants.

5. Tony

Tony Member

May 1, 2013
    Ops Support
    Ankeny, IA
    Sounds like you were just listening to KXNo. I listened and I was annoyed with Randy and all of them, there's always another side of the story. Point one, I think CPR was just pointing out how big of a recruit Lazard is and how big of a deal it is that ISU was able to get him and letting everyone know that he had a LOT of interest from other programs, and it shuts up the "we didn't want him anyways" hawk fans. Point two, nobody outside of the program knows why Lazard is being kept off limits, it's all just speculation, who knows, maybe Lazard told CPR that he was sick of the media and Rhoads solved the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    This is what I hope actually happened and Rhoads is just protecting Lazard from further scrutiny by deflecting attention to himself.

7. 501Clone

501Clone Active Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Your opinion ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin it on...

And I mean that with all due respect.

8. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Maybe Paul thought he had a couple "buddies" saying things they shouldn't.
    [​IMG]
    What a punchable face.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    You mean like ALL good leaders in any discipline would do? Pretty novel concept by some on here, I think. Amazing a head coach would do that...

10. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    I saw it more as gloating than anything. He basically just said that they wasted a lot of time, money, and effort for nothing. Kind of a "This kid is ours" thing.

As far as Lazard being off-limits to media, I think it's more of a favor to Allen than anything with the constant media attention he has gotten over the past year. When Allen signed his LOI he basically said something in the interview along the lines of "Now I hope I can just enjoy my senior year as a highschooler".

11. Bigman38

Bigman38 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Male
    Council Bluffs, IA
    I see it took a long time to figure out how Lazard is a negative.

The media ban serves a couple purposes, none of which is CPR making Allen special or elevating him above his teammates. If anything it makes him more like his peers. How many other freshmen are going get that much attention from the media?

It's an F you to the media members who almost seemed to want him to decommit. And it's a message to Lazard that it's time to put the media circus behind and get to work.

12. Ry4Cy

Ry4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Male
    Ankeny
    #12 Ry4Cy, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Obviously some have troubles reading between the lines here so let me help. CPR: "You local media people have been nothing but giant d-bags through Lizards entire recruiting process and I know interviewing him would sell news papers and get you some page clicks but for that you can all suck a fat ****."

13. Madclone1

Madclone1 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2007
    #13 Madclone1, Feb 6, 2014
    I suggest ... One .... Bobby Elliott's backstabbing ISU on multiple occasions has something to do with PBR's response (funny how Peterson et al have ever questioned BE on any of this) ... Second .... You and the rest of us don't know all the facts regarding Iowa's actions. I trust PBR all the wAy on this one.

14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I find this whole thing funny. The media runs stories every week almost hoping he'll flip. He doesn't, and CPR calls them out on it. And then they cry about it :twitcy:

15. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    I'm guessing he was tired the constant media speculation of Lazard's commitment and I don't blame him. I know I was sure tired of it since there was never any basis to it. So, rubbing their nose in it OK with me.

I'm also OK with him taking a shot at Notre Dame and Kirk. It also reminds Tavern Hawks that Kirk is no more "classy" than any other college coach.

CPR landed a very big fish that he had to keep on the line for over a year. I'm Ok with him gloating a bit when he gets it in the boat and it is time for a picture.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JBone84

JBone84 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Rochester, MN
    Have you considered writing an open letter to CPR?

17. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    #17 Agclone91, Feb 6, 2014

You do know that Sumlin made Manziel off-limits to media his Freshman year, right? That turned out pretty well. It's a distraction thing. Paul knows the rediculous standards some people have set for Allen right out of the gate.

Edit: I guess I took your post of of context

• Like Like x 1
  18. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    I think we're all agreeing here.

19. Madclone1

Madclone1 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Outstanding! Best post of the day and I'm not kidding!

20. nj829

nj829 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Northwest Arkansas
    Considering Ferentz flipped Barkley Hill a couple of years ago (and if I recall Bielema was ****** when Urban came to the Big 10 and broke the "gentleman's agreement" the coaches had to not flip committed recruits) I think CPR took some offense to them trying it again on what has been a kid showing loyalty for 14 months and trying to break him. Same with having Bobby Elliott being the main recruiter for ND after he was an assistant for CPR here. I have a feeling he lost a lot of respect for people he had respect for prior to this.

As for the media, the constant why is Lazard still committed, why not Notre Dame, and the same story being repeated for 14 months that it would take something significant to make him leave being reported monthly, exposure questions, etc. CPR is getting ahead of the train of questions on why isn't AL contributing more, etc. his freshman year. The kid has been hounded for a couple of years with media and schools harassing him, no need to let it continue and now he can be a kid again.