Confidence key in Diante Garret's rejuvenated career

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Feb 28, 2011.

1. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    It's too bad DG has so many haters, he will really be missed next year.

2. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    #3 Clones85', Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    A lot of idiots out there

I will add this. Diante Garrett this year, has had one of the best years by a Cyclone bball player. Some won't remember it b/c of the lack of wins, but he has been special. He's played tons of minutes and he always plays hard. DG's a stud!!!

3. geburgess

geburgess Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    WDSM, IA
    He's the real D-Money in my book. Gonna miss you at ISU Diante.

4. isubeatle

isubeatle Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    Fred should have no problem convincing guards to come play for him with the way DGs stats improved this year.

5. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    This!

6. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    I will admit I was a hater. But DG has proven me wrong. If you look at his play his first 3 years it was spotty at best. He had trouble hitting shot and finishing, he also didnt get the ball where needed. But what a diffence a coach makes. He is a completly different player and one hell of a ball handler. He has been fun to watch play this season.

7. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Really hope someone takes him in the draft.

8. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    If nothing else this year has at the very least earned him a roster spot on a summer league team.

9. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Same here.

10. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    If it wasn't for DG (and Jake and Jamie) I would have been perfectly happy watching the team develop this year and would have been OK with the struggles. But I wanted 4 years of loyalty to be rewarded with some success for him. It was a rough 2 months to end the season, but it sure was a fun first 2 months. And we would be lost with out Diante. It sure seems like he has enjoyed this system and this year and that is so nice to see him look like he is having fun playing.

It was cool to hear his Dad on the postgame on Saturday too. Him and Diante's mom probably had a lot to due with the fact that DG stuck it out at Iowa State when so many bailed.

We will miss him a lot next year.

And remember that the game is at 6:30 on Wednesday. Senior Day stuff is before the game, so try to be there early to give him a good sendoff. It's not often we get to honor a 4 year player.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008

Yeah and he'll make some money on a team in Europe, if nothing else happens.

12. nowncarolina

nowncarolina Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Very well written artcle. I liked the part about reaching as far to the basket as opposed to the high release. Makes sense. A lot of truth in this writeup. Good job Mr. Garret.

13. ManBearClone

ManBearClone Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I'm not too sure he would of stuck around his final year if McDermott was still here. I seem to remember some rumors floating around. His Dad even said Diante was pretty frustrated with the system. I wouldn't of blamed him at all as I didn't really blame Colvin. You have four short years to realize your dream and then get stuck in a system where you can't develop your skills. I think Fred is the biggest reason he stayed however. Fred had a vision for him and was able to sell him on it. Must of felt like he was let out of jail. All and all he is a class act and his loyalty looks to be paying off for him.

14. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    That system was pretty clearly a poor fit for DG.

The way his dad talked, I got the idea that Diante had thought about it a few times over the years.

Of course, if he didn't, that would probably make him the only one.