Column: Are Iowa State & West Virginia rivals?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Feb 27, 2014.

1. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    That was odd... I agree, but it is more than a stretch, it is a plain and simple no. As we all know we have one real rival and that is it. Just leave it at that, nobody needs a weak fabrication it doesn't even make for interesting discussion. I'm even bored typing this. :)

2. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    [video=youtube;L30BRQxeHfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30BRQxeHfs[/video]

3. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    The only time I've seen Hilton like it was tonight is against Kansas and Iowa.

4. JHUNSY

JHUNSY Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Des Moines, IA
    I'd say the events leading up to it and the emotion wrapped up in it between our teams seems to be heading towards the route of a rivalry. It seems like genuine "bad-blood" to me. If you were looking for a fabricated example of a rivalry then look at Neb and Iowa.. Didn't they have a "rivalry" trophy for their very first match-up in football two years ago?

5. Clone1138

Clone1138 Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Central Iowa
    I though the exact same thing as well. If you were there tonight, Hilton was on a whole other level. The crowd was out for blood and just relentless. What may have started out as a manufactured rivalry, is starting to take on a life of it's own. I'm cool with that. WVU, for some reason that I can't explain, is starting to remind me of Nebraska.

6. carvers4math

carvers4math Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I view them as rivals in both basketball and football because I hold grudges forever. Football is that punk Gino Smith with Wally, and bball is that punk Harris with Morris.

7. Gnomeborg

Gnomeborg Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #8 Gnomeborg, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    I hope so.

When Nebraska joined the B1G, we all got told about how big of a rivalry they'd always been, and everyone sort of just scratched their head and said "really?"

But when WV joined, the Big XII said "so, we know there's nothing there, really, but if you wouldn't mind terribly much, would you two mind being rivals for us?"

And we all shrugged, looked at each other, and said "yeah, we can probably do that..."

And so far we've both been doing our level best to hate each other. I kinda feel like this is the best type of new rivalry.

We aren't trying to pretend the rivalry is old or deep. We know we aren't going to fool anyone. We aren't putting a silly name on the game (like, for example, something random like... the Heroes game or something lame that no one would ever do for real....), or trying to hype it at all. We're just learning to hate each other.

And if finding new people to hate, who also hate you, isn't what college sports are all about, well, I don't think I like what college sports has become.

Plus, I'm really really going to hate seeing Staten for 2 more years. I mean, seriously. That kid.

8. ISUCyclones2015

ISUCyclones2015 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. One of my good buddies from High School goes to WVU and plays on the football team. We love each other until days like today

9. sadam

sadam Member

Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't been so ready for a game as I was tonight. I was seriously ****** after we played them in morgantown. It felt good stomping them tonight just like it feels good stomping Iowa (of course I'd rather stomp Iowa) but its not a full blown rivalry yet but feeling more like it all the time.

10. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Yes. West Virginia and Kansas are both becoming rivals. I'd love for Nebraska to make the tournament and face us too, even though I'd much rather beat them in a bowl game.

Iowa is our only "true" rival with history... But there's a few new ones forming thanks to Hoiberg and CPR.

11. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Yup, I hate them.

The WVU bloggers, whom I no longer follow on Twitter, have helped it.

12. demoncore1031

demoncore1031 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2008
    Musician
    Albuquerque,NM
    I would love to have this turn into a rivalry. It's kinda scary thinking that they don't have a single senior on their basketball roster. They have some talent, and are well coached. Too bad their fan base has no class. Bring it on Mountaineers!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrApathy

MrApathy Member

Aug 7, 2006
    poke badgers with spoons
    Did you miss the Michigan game?

14. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    even manufactured, we need a school as a rival. I truly doubt KU counts us as a rival the same way evidence probably does now. and it's good for both schools

15. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    West Virginia sports programs seem to embrace the bad boy persona. As a result, they create the type of experiences that lead to rivalries. Throwing a haymaker at your opponent is a perfect example.

It is fun to have games that create their own energy. I don't care what you call them. I was amped for last nights game.

16. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Wasn't it 102-77, not 107-77? Just being picky here.

I think it takes more sustained intensity and probably some closer and even more heated games to make a rivalry. This one just might be on the way.
    Right now, the hillbillies just seem like an irritant, but not someone to obsess over like we would a rival.

17. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    I don't know if you'd call it a rivalry but Hilton hasn't been that hostile since Kansas left town.

18. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    This is basically us and West Virginia over the last two years.

[video=youtube;QzBmQMyYDBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBmQMyYDBk[/video]​

19. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Id rather we start contending for Big 12 titles and become Kansas' conference rival.