College living isn't like it used to be

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by Daserop, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Daserop

Daserop Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Space Debris Collection
    The Bebop
  2. cy4prez7

cy4prez7 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Male
    Teacher
    Des Moines
    Well I don't see any of that around here so I would have to disagree with your title.

3. Naughtius

Naughtius Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Central IA
    And all I got was this crappy Mason jar.

Signed,

Aggie

4. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    I always liked our pool at my coconino apartment. That was pretty pimp in my eyes back then.

5. DurangoCy

DurangoCy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Then people wonder why the world is unfair after they've run up 100k in college loans after they've completed their Sociology Degree.

That is just stupid, those things look nicer than most people's houses.

6. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Engineer
    Tiffin, IA
    Part of the reason the cost of a degree keeps going up. If students would settle for something less, maybe they wouldn't have so much $$$$ in loans.

7. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Looking back, it probably would have been a smart idea to go to a junior college. However, I have gotten some good opportunities that may or may not have been presented to me if I didn't go that route.

8. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to a 4 yr. school instead of a junior college. My guess is that you didn't pay extra or take out loans to live in a place like is shown in the article.

9. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    No kidding. I'd personally love to see the government cap borrowing for different programs based on the expected post-graduate salary. It's a little different for a doctor to take on $100,000 in debt vs. someone getting an HDFS degree. Iowa State could even contemplate doing this to help get rid of the highest student debt load in the country. Luckily a buddy of mine is taking on $45,000 in debt to get a degree in communications studies.

*Note: I'm not immune...took $30,000 in debt for finance/accounting double major. Could I have gotten by cheaper? Absolutely, but I'm comfortable with that amount in student loans and I'm living very comfortably. It's worth it, and I'll be able to pay that off no problem.

10. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    This hurts to say, but that is not a bad idea. Theoretically, that could help someone really think about their career potential when choosing a major.

Interesting idea. It's worth pondering while I think of a way to call you an ignorant fool. Give me time.