College athletics = sweat shops?

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by simply1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Is college athletics a sweatshop? - CNN.com

2. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Land Surveying
    hills to flat lands
    Im going to get killed but...

They or you guys, whoever is reading this, get a scholarship to go thats worth what 25k to 75k a year depending on where you go. I know some are not going to necessarily get educated but that a chunk of change they dont have to worry about later in life. And I think injuries from what I understand are cared for by the Institution.

Given NCAA make HUGE loads of money off them but they DO get comped. Plus I dont care what you say I dont want one kid get more than other because of sport he or she is in or the yards they carried the ball.

3. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Sweat shops? Please. They get benefits above and beyond the average college student including tuition, room and board, training table, medical care, athletic training and tutoring.

The answer is no.

4. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Totally agree.

5. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    It also give many an advantage to many when they enter the labor market.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Excellent point. A sweat shop job is also a dead end job that you can't get out of.

+1

7. ameshammer

ameshammer Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hammering
    Ankeny
    Participation in college sports is a voluntary activity. If the treatment college athletes recieve is similar to that of sweat shop employees, sign my *** up!

8. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Sportswriter@ Daily Iowan
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    I agree that they get compensated, therefore there is no case. However, I DO think that players should be allowed to have endorsements. But, those endorsements can't have anything to do with the sport that they play (see: Jeremy Bloom and his skiing endorsements). If they're looking at getting into acting, they should be able to accept a part in a movie, so long as that part doesn't have anything to do with their ability in their chosen sport (Darnell Autry at Northwestern had to win an appeal just to get a very small role in a film a while back).

Things like that should be okay. I swear, some of the opportunities that they have to pass up because of the NCAA are ridiculous. Hell, I remember Drew Tate won a hole-in-one contest, and had to turn down the prize money. How does one rig a hole-in-one contest? And don't give me that scene from "Space Jam" as an example lol.

9. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Land Surveying
    hills to flat lands
    Im glad other here see it similar to me but what is scary is how much this is picking up speed and belief in the national media.

Theyll get it changed soon and then it will take some of the magic of college football away for me.

10. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
  11. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Why does every media member want college football to turn into the NFL? Pay players, super-conferences, and a playoff. All would destroy college football and college athletics as a whole. I guess that's the point now a days.

The problem isn't paying the players. The problem is the NCAA. If the governing body of college athletics wasn't full of corrupt money grubbing hogs, the system would work perfectly.