Colgate Freshman Ineligible - NCAA, R U SERIOUS?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by hoopitup, Nov 6, 2013.

1. hoopitup

hoopitup Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Teacher
    West Des Moines
  2. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    It'll get reversed. This is one of the things I like about ESPN. They make some stupid "big-man" decisions popular and the "big-man" changes his mind.

3. iacyguy

iacyguy Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    The Dirty Dodge
    I didn't know toothpaste has its own university with a basketball team!

But I agree. this is dumb. Way to go NCAA

4. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    It's this type of stuff that will lead to the BCS breaking away from the NCAA. They will probably survive as an organization because the tourney is such a big deal, but football will soon take their ball and play by themselves.

5. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    The NCAA is a huge joke. I do hope the system crumbles and gets rebuilt.

6. hexodat64

hexodat64 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ames, IA and MN
    It'll get reversed I'm sure, but it doesn't change the fact that these kinds of things seem to routinely happen. I would love to see what is actually going on in these meetings when they make these decisions.

As if the problems regarding making money weren't enough, the NCAA is just making themselves look worse with decisions like this

7. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Isn't it pretty obvious they just embarrass themselves with crap like this and Okorro? It's in their own best interest to police and reform themselves. Not a month goes buy without a huge negative PR story like this.

8. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    I don't think that they can help it.

9. megamanxzero35

megamanxzero35 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    I read an interview with a former NCAA compliance officer. He said situations like these, the ruling happens with no one really looking at it. Like a pre approved loan. No one looks over your credit history, just your number and HEY! You could get up to a 200k loan this weekend! Then you go in and you actually can only get a 130k loan.

Cases like this get an automatic ruling before human eyes see it. This interview was during the MTSU issue referenced in the article and the guy was saying he was confident it'd be reversed because it would be looked over by a real person now.

10. ISpyCy

ISpyCy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
    I can't wait until their rivalry week game against Crest College.

11. WalkingCY

WalkingCY Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas City
    Aqua Fresh thinks they are big rivals.... but really they're like Drake.

12. hexodat64

hexodat64 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ames, IA and MN
    You'd think with all the money going through college sports they could at least hire a person to actually look at these things. This is just pathetic. Of all the things they claim to do, it would be nice if the NCAA actually tried to care about student athletes

13. carvers4math

carvers4math Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Reminds me of the one year post season ban in all sports they gave Caltech. They really like to drop the hammer on these crazy colleges that care more about academics than sports.

14. megamanxzero35

megamanxzero35 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    IIRC, he explained it as if there are 500 cases that need to be reviewed in a months time, time wise it's easier to give a blanket ruling and the ones that don't deserve that judgement will appeal and human eyes will see it. And those that know they are wrong, accept their penalty.

It is kind of backwards IMO. But it makes some sense.

15. ISUME

ISUME Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Free Lucca!

16. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    In a bassackward way that does make some sense.

17. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Significant other is a Raider alum. Reading her Facebook mini-feed leads me to believe Colgate is unaware it has both a football and basketball team. Hamilton is a nice little town though.

18. Cyclonetrombone

Cyclonetrombone Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    American Red Cross
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I remember in elementary school we all got pull names from a hat for NCAA tournament and whoever's team won got candy as a prize. My friend pulled Colgate and started crying. I think this was in '95 so 5th grade maybe?

I ended up with Purdue so didn't fair much better.

19. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    What? You don't think the NCAA cares about these kids? Are you kidding me? Haven't you seen those cute little commercials the NCAA is constantly putting on TV?

[video=youtube;QC1aAGj34gs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1aAGj34gs[/video]

20. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    It's impossible to write out rules for every single situation that may ever arise. That's why it needs these blanket rules. I completely understand the meaning behind them even when the outcome is a bad PR message. This should get overturned when they get around to it.

Problem is next year, when a guy plays for a church league that pays for his car. "but it's a church league!" I'd hate to have to enforce this stuff.