Coaching To Win!

Discussion in 'Football' started by Klonz, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Klonz

Klonz Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Project Manager
    Grimes, IA
    #1 Klonz, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    I love the way CPR coaches to win. While I would have gone for the 3 points early in the game vs going for it on 4-1, I admire his message to the team. We are here to win.

I felt the whole game, he made decisions that were coaching to win.

We've had too many historical games where we coached to not lose - and ended up losing b/c we did not have the personnel to be ultra conservative.

I think the tide had turned for the better!

Great win guys!

Edit: Also impressed that CPR doesn't wear the headsets... trusting his OC/DC to do their jobs!

2. jhill

jhill Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Also, the drive at the end of the first half. I was content to run the ball and go into halftime up 7-3. But Rhoads pushed it and ended up scoring a TD.

3. Klonz

Klonz Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Project Manager
    Grimes, IA
    ABSOLUTELY! In the old days we would have given the ball back again before half instead of being aggressive!!

4. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    This. I said to a buddy I was with that we needed to just run out the clock and go into half up 7-3...Rhoads proved he's a coach with balls and I'm not.

5. jhill

jhill Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    No question. As a lifelong Cyclone fan, all I could think about was the bad things that could happen. Coach Rhoads obviously, and thankfully correctly, didn't believe the same things. Love everything about this Coach.

6. wright4cy

wright4cy Member

Jan 15, 2007
    self employeed
    Boone
    It is sooo much fun to believe and be a confident cyclone ...even when things looked ugly knowing this coaching staff and players would never say die and I tip my hat to this team and group of coaches !!LOVE BEING A CYCLONE FAN!!!!

7. Swanson10

Swanson10 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Loved the attitude, but hated the play call. AA needs to be under center in that situation and since we never run any plays under center you could have done many, many things with the play call.

8. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I would have been much happier up 17-0 at the half. I think ISU kick a fg that first drive and the Cyclones keep their momentum. They got shut down and Minnesota marched right down and scored. Could have been a completely different game IMO.

9. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Hmmm, I never, for a second, thought we shoud settle for 7-3 at the half.

10. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I agree. It's obvious from this year that if you're going to beat a Paul Rhoads team, you are going to have to get down in the mud and the blood, and if you can't knock their *** out, you're in trouble, because they sure as hell will not submit.

11. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa

The funny thing about that call is that it was the same 4th and 1 call that they used down at aTm...With the same result the safety stopped the play cold...

I think Minnesota picked it up on the film and did the same thing defensively that aTm did.....

btw i was inside kyle field for the atm game and i will go back everytime isu er we play there until i see a WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12. IceCyIce

IceCyIce Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Safety Man
    Grimes
    Man I thought the same thing. This is good coaching, not getting too high or to low.

13. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Not converting that 4th down was a huge momentum shift, and it took us a while to recover from it. (2nd quarter)
    I don't see it as a bad call necessarily. But I certainly wouldn't consider it a wise move either...

14. Clonedogg

Clonedogg Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I.T.
    CR, IA
    agreed, I would like to see the big qb (AA) under center in those short yardage situations. Just qb sneak it!

15. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    I loved the call to go for it on 4th and 1. I absolutely hated the play call. C'mon Herman, use a little creativity.