Coaching Fires and Hires

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by FinalFourCy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. riceville98

riceville98 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    WOW Didn't see that coming There has to be more to this story

Where does OK State go now?

2. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    Underwood to Illinois is good news for ISU. I wanted Underwood to ISU when Prohm got here but it looks like Underwood would have bolted quickly and ISU would have been in need of hiring another coach quickly.

Also, this screws over Okie St. and Kansas St. Lots of KSU fans thought there was a chance he'd go to Kansas St. still once Weber was fired.

3. mb7299

mb7299 Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Male
    Teacher
    Iowa Falls
    Interested who they will get at OSU next. This conference is loaded with top notch coaches cant really blame Underwood for leaving for that reason, winning consistently is difficult in this conference but heck even with a pretty crummy team you can be .500 in the big ten (see Iowa).

4. Messi

Messi Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
  5. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    I thought about that, too. I also was on "Team Underwood," now I'm glad at least short-term Prohm was the choice if Underwood was going to bolt after a season. Although nobody would have assumed that at the time --- unless his plan was to grab the first new opportunity he could.

6. Messi

Messi Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids

Georgetown would worry me if they target Prohm. Great history. Focus all on basketball. Closer to home. Can probably pay more than ISU.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    Unless they're pushing Big John out of the picture along with his son, I wouldn't want anything to do with that job. That guy has way too much influence within the program.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. knowlesjam

knowlesjam Active Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Weather Warrior
    Papillion, NE
    Georgetown is another high vis job opening. Definitely lots of openings without a big list of fills (at least by other P6 coaches). Looks like more mid-major coaches will get the chance to move up...

Fascinating in that some schools (Illinois and Missouri) move quick (like ISU did with Prohm), while others let the dust settle and then make a decision. First glance is that the quick fill option seems to do better...shows a decisive athletic director that has a good list of candidates ready to go if something happens...

9. cycloner29

cycloner29 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Marketing
    Ames
    And so it did happen with Georgetown....

If Georgetown stays in the family, Charlotte Hornets assistant coach Patrick Ewing makes the most sense. If outside, Hoyas should make a run at Harvard's Tommy Amaker.

[​IMG]Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer

10. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    He is not a good fit at all at Georgetown.

11. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Wisconsin is very happy with Greg Gard. He has shown that he can coach but we'll see what he does recruiting side as they do need to reload.
    Gard is also a stand up guy and the Madison faithful do not miss the behind the scene shenanigans.

12. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    Their fans don't. I've talked to some and they were talking about firing him before the tournaments happened.

13. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I live amoungt them and have not heard one that doesn't like him. Not surprised that some don't like the coach, kind of like our fans earlier in the season.