CHOOSING Iowa State

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I completely disagree with Jon on his 'Choosing' diatribe. I grew up in Northern Iowa where everyone was a Hawk fan. So was I. i went to Iowa State due to other family being there, etc - even though i still preferred the hawkeyes. By the time i was a sophomore, i was die-hard ISU, and no longer a fan of Iowa. Call is a wearing down, or whatever, but I 'CHOSE' to then be a fan of ISU, and it has been growing ever since.

At first i still liked the hawks, but that feeling has since gone away and I now can't stand them!

So there Jon!

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
I completely agree. I don't think his point is valid at all. I grew up in SE Iowa, where everyone is a hawkeye fan. I grew up a hawkeye fan until later when I "chose" to become a cyclone fan after going to basketball and football games in Ames.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I am a former Husker fan, went to ISU. I was shown the light there. Now live in Omaha. I chose Iowa State and still choose Iowa State.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I didn't hear what's being discussed, but...

Living on the east side of the state is the primary reason I became a Cyclone fan.

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
I have to admit I turned off JDM when he went on that diatribe. His plea of "Please Iowa, don't do anything like this" sounded like sour grapes to me. Once again, ADJP and his minions have trumped the foes to the east by showing that they are willing to provide ISU fans with the materials to show their loyalty without having to purchase anything. It seems to me to be a classic example of proactive marketing. "We're glad you chose Iowa State, and we're going to help you show your pride in your choice." Perfect.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think you should be fully supportive of JonDMiller in this most recent attempt to dissuade EIU from utilizing successful marketing techniques...

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
What exactly did he say? I didnt hear what's being discussed.

He was ranting about how its stupid to have the yard signs, how iowa never has to do anything like this because the fans already have their hawk flags and satin jackets, and that yard signs should be banned, and then my radio went "click". It was just him trying to spin a negative light on a really clever marketing scheme. I got the immediate impression that he was ticked that ISU thought of it first.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
JonDMiller - "Choosing" to be a complete Tool.

Just when you think he can be a reasonable commentator, he goes into HawkMode(tm) and you gotta hate on him again....:wink:

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
He was ranting about how its stupid to have the yard signs, how iowa never has to do anything like this because the fans already have their hawk flags and satin jackets, and that yard signs should be banned, and then my radio went "click". It was just him trying to spin a negative light on a really clever marketing scheme. I got the immediate impression that he was ticked that ISU thought of it first.

Hmm. I don't really see how those are much different than the flags people put outside their houses, but ok.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
he was also saying that no one 'CHOOSES' to be a fan of a program - that is just the way they are. One of the stupidest things i have ever heard on Sports radio to be honest. I Chose to be an ISU fan after experiencing the environment there in college, just like I Chose to be a Hoosier fan a few years later after going to a game at Assembly Hall.

John, you're WAY off on this one, and your jealousy of Pollard's ingenuity is showing.

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
he was also saying that no one 'CHOOSES' to be a fan of a program - that is just the way they are. One of the stupidest things i have ever heard on Sports radio to be honest. I Chose to be an ISU fan after experiencing the environment there in college, just like I Chose to be a Hoosier fan a few years later after going to a game at Assembly Hall.

John, you're WAY off on this one, and your jealousy of Pollard's ingenuity is showing.

Forgot about THAT little jewel. Props to you!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
All I know is I want a sign! I see Cyclone fans all over Beaverdale but somehow, in my little corner, I am surrounded by Hawkeyes! While we are on the subject, I want to get a ISU adress plate for the house that I can customize with our name, anyone know where to get those?

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
So, does that mean that hawkeye fans don't choose to be the way they are? They're just d-bags by birth???

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What's dumb is I think the whole premise of the argument is wrong. The point of the sign isn't that you literally chose the Cyclones. I think it's something to make light of the upcoming presidential election like my sig pic. It is after all modeled after political signs.

And as I said in the other thread, Pollard said at a tailgate tour stop that he hoped it annoyed Hawkeyes.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
SWEET! Does someone have (or could get me) one that I could have???? PM me and we'll figure out how to connect.

MrsWX and I MUST have one of those signs...

Last edited:

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
SWEET! Does someone have (or could get me) one that I could have???? PM me and we'll figure out how to connect.

MrsWX and I MUST have one of those signs...

Stop in the Jacobsen building and there are offices on the east side and right at the secretary's desk I believe it is has a whole mess of them. I picked up 10 yard signs, 10 magnets, 10 posters, and 10 folding schedules for my brother to distribute to all his employers who haven't seen "the light" well when they "choose" ISU I'll make sure to let JonDMiller in light of it.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron