Chizik's Toughness

Discussion in 'Football' started by leg4cy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. leg4cy

leg4cy Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Humboldt, IA
    STLtoday - Iowa State shows patience with football coach Gene Chizik

• Like Like x 2
  2. ISU_Alum_2000

ISU_Alum_2000 All-Star

Oct 21, 2006
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Good find. Thanks for the link.

3. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Nice article!

4. Flag Guy

Flag Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    Nice read...

I like the "First team in the Big XII history to play Dodgeball" line too... :biglaugh:

5. ISU_Alum_2000

ISU_Alum_2000 All-Star

Oct 21, 2006
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Should somebody bring a sign on Saturday...

ISU - 2008 Big XII Dodgeball Champions

:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Great, great article. Usually the Post Dispatch has nothing but pointed jabs at Iowa State. Nice to see us getting some positive outside attention for what we're doing here. Can you smell what the Chiz is cookin'?

Also, when was the last time you saw an article like that in the Register?

7. ilovetheclones

Nov 17, 2006
    Ankeny, Ia
    see friends no need to worry about recruits

That explains the billboard on the main drag connecting Clearwater, Fla., Chizik's hometown, to Tampa. Iowa State is making inroads in the rich recruiting areas of Florida, where Chizik has a jazillion contacts, and Texas, where he coached.

with that many options we should have our pick of the litter

cant believe a real journalist used that word in print

8. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    Haha, yes!

9. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    I loved dodgeball when I was a kid. My elementary school PE teacher put a spin on it. We had a bowling pin set beneath the basketball hoop. If you knocked it down, two players were allowed "out of prison". If you sank a basket from beyond half-court, everybody was allowed "out of prison". And prison was behind the end line of the basketball court, so you could throw the ball to a person in prison and if they caught it, they were out of prison. But it was like arena ball too - if an opponent caught the ball off the wall - you went to prison. What a great game... and a great memory.

Coming out of prison was hell though. Since you had to run through the opponents side of the court, you often got NAILED just as you crossed the mid-court line.

10. usedcarguy

usedcarguy Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Ames
    Hopefully, the billboard in Florida will be a better investment than the one in Cedar Rapids.

Gene is a winner. I've had some interactions with a few players around town and they are courteous and respectful. Don't know how long it will take, but he will get the job done, and will positively impact young peoples' lives in the process. That's much more than they will ever be able to claim in Iowa City.

11. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    There. Fixed that for ya. :yes:

12. scyclonekid

scyclonekid Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Nice article thanks leg4cy. Well that explains his toughness, his father and since I did not know that happy belated Veterans Day Mr. Chizik you totally deserve it!!!. The apple does not fall far from the tree and that is evident here. I believe in Gene and his quest to get Iowa State football to a place it has never been before. The recruits and all the returning letter winners nice very nice.