Chizik's Press Conference

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
This isn't true at all. How many times did we get a big lead against a good team to only come out and get blown away in the 2nd half under Mac.

Besides, he is long gone....and I am very excited about our staff.

I think the original post was intending to say that Mac's presser would have spun Saturday's performance to say "we won the second half.....".

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Maybe, but I still like the direction this team is headed in. Last year, ISU made steady progress throughout the year. I hope that holds true this year.

So am I, I meant Mac would have never blamed himself or the staff, he would have praised Iowa untill the cows came home...

Lenny25

Jan 2, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
When asked if he took any solice in the fact that his defense only allowed one offensive touchdown Chizik said......

"NO. I don't take solice in anything we do in a game we lost"

Love the no excuses attitude. A loss is a loss. There are no moral victories.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
When asked if he took any solice in the fact that his defense only allowed one offensive touchdown Chizik said......

"NO. I don't take solice in anything we do in a game we lost"

Love the no excuses attitude. A loss is a loss. There are no moral victories.
I was just about to post this quote, definately my favorite quote of the conference!

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Overall, I love the honesty and accountability that Chizik communicates. He doesn't dance around questions or try to put any fluff into his answers - he pretty much just tells it as it is.

As mentioned in a previous post, his response to the LJ concussion question was hilarious. It was good to hear a little humor regarding that situation b/c LJ is electric on the field and we need him out there.

On a side note, I thought it was very interesting to hear him talk about Kennard Banks potentially playing again this year b/c he is such a special player. I thought KB was done for the year, but maybe not? :mask:

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
We have a coach who is going to win here , he did not come to ISU to lose, even if he is only building his resume, we are going to win!! count on it

rte4st8

the only call I didn't like was the fad on 3 and goal late in the game. To me that is a very low probability of of success unless you have a 6'5" receiver that can jump and push off without getting flagged :wink:. Overall special team cost us 16 points. 9 from our field goal unit (2 were bad snaps) and Brodell scoring a TD.

We owned them in the 3rd quarter and couldn't close the deal when we had the ball. I kept looking at the stats on the board in the stadium and we were ahead in every category( well amost).

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Who is this Steve Alford you speak of??? I didn't know he coached football.

I think he coaches soccer. This picture was also taken a few years ago. His hair is still immaculate.

img_63171_lego_virtualuniverse3_380_450x360.jpg

Reactions: bellzisu

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
the only call I didn't like was the fad on 3 and goal late in the game. To me that is a very low probability of of success unless you have a 6'5" receiver that can jump and push off without getting flagged :wink:. Overall special team cost us 16 points. 9 from our field goal unit (2 were bad snaps) and Brodell scoring a TD.

We owned them in the 3rd quarter and couldn't close the deal when we had the ball. I kept looking at the stats on the board in the stadium and we were ahead in every category( well amost).

I never like the fade on third down, there are too many variables. IMO you have to let the play run as long as possible on third down and wait for the defense to break down, if you take a sack than so be it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
"we will never blame the kids for this kind of stuff "coaching errors"....ever"

I love that quote...

Yeah, the quotes great. And if you listen closely, he also talks about passes being dropped, balls thrown to the wrong receivers, players not recognizing when they should pass because there are niine defenders in the box, all sorts of stuff like that. Then he says "But we're not going to blame the players for that."

Taking responsibility, yes, but he's also recognizing--and pointing out--that there are errors in execution. Yes, it's the coaches' responsibility in instruction, and yes, they'll be working on it, but still, we all know that it's not the coaches on the field making the mistakes.

Not to sound critical, these guys are young, and they will get better. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and you learn from adversity. They have plenty of learning to do over the next week.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
We have a coach who is going to win here , he did not come to ISU to lose, even if he is only building his resume, we are going to win!! count on it

I am not so sure he may not just put down roots here for a while. Look at the sweet gig kf (HPSE) has. Win 6 or 7 games, don't bust your butt, and get paid $3 million per. If Chizik can have some success at ISU, with our expectations, he will certainly earn and get a nice raise. He is doing things the right way.

With enough success, I could see him leaving for Auburn or Texas, or maybe a Florida team. Maybe. Outside of these, I would not worry too much. I think if the fans and the university continue to support him, I think GC will be the coach at ISU for quite a while, and that is a good thing.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

The absolute worst was 3rd and goal on the 2 or 3 yard line, and no timeouts left with about 3-4 minutes left in the game and we run Robinson off guard for a loss of 1. Unreal. :no:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
With enough success, I could see him leaving for Auburn or Texas, or maybe a Florida team. Maybe. Outside of these, I would not worry too much. I think if the fans and the university continue to support him, I think GC will be the coach at ISU for quite a while, and that is a good thing.

With enough success, I'm thinking we'll see the South end zone bowled in, sold out crowds of 65K, and ISU contending for, at least, Big XII championships--in short order. The question is, is that good enough for him? And can we raise the ceiling any higher?