Chicago Bears: Free Agency update

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
the bears do not need to pick a reciever first round. the bears need to draft an early round OT, because they only have 2 very old ones in tait and st. clair. whichever pick they use for tackle, they need to use the other for an RB, or if mendenhall and the good ones are gone, then a WR. they can get a decent reciever in the 2nd round like jordy nelson or someone else. hell jordy nelson may even go later. this draft isnt very deep for OL this year, so i think that needs to be addressed first. if somehow clady or otah falls to them, they need to jump. if not, they need to jump on mendenhall. if both of those scenarios fall thru, they need to go QB or WR. i love the passing game as much as the next guy, but chicago bears football is smashmouth, grind you out kinda style. benson needs another RB so he will actually run and not pussyfoot all the time. and for that to happen, they need some OL to open holes. hopefully beekman steps up this year.

rhlentz

Nov 27, 2006
Ames, IA
maybe we should draft todd blythe can't be any worse than the receivers we got now brandon rideau? mike haas?

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
The Bears are my team and I love them but they are one of the worst off season teams in the league. We now have no receivers with over 20 catches in a season and the only good one is Hester and he is not a truly solid receiver anyway. And I think Briggs signed with us again because he was getting pretty much no offers from teams that were interested in him last year when he demanded a trade.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I think that a lot of people soured on Briggs when he pulled the "I'll never play another game for Chicago" stunt.

There are too many needs that the Bears have to be handled in just one draft. The top priorities in my book are WR, O-Line, then running back. ESPN's new mock draft has Mendenhall going to Chicago, but that would be a waste if they don't have someone at WR who can stretch the field and keep the safeties back in coverage.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The Bears' front office just baffle me with the great decisions they make on defense and totally crap ones they make on offense. How does that happen?

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
The Bears have done nothing this off-season to get better. Nothing.

2008 Outlook

QB - probably same as 2007, which isn't good
RB - Probably same, which isn't good. Would have liked them to make a run at Turner.
WR - worse. Lost both starters leaving nothing but unproved talent.
TE - same or better. At least there's one highlight
OL - same or worse which isn't good. probably worse since they'll be even older. You'll never be able to develop Grossman or Orton while they're running for their life in the backfield.

The defensive outlook looks about the same or possibly better. Should get some players back from injuries so they'll probably end up somewhere between their 2007 and 2006 performances.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The Bears' front office just baffle me with the great decisions they make on defense and totally crap ones they make on offense. How does that happen?

Sport ownership in the city of Chicago has to be the worst overall in the history of professional sports.

Bulls - drive off the best basketball player in the world to hire TIM FLOYD?
Blackhawks - nuff said
Cubs - 100 years
Sox - heck I don't know anything about them other than they suck.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Sport ownership in the city of Chicago has to be the worst overall in the history of professional sports.

Bulls - drive off the best basketball player in the world to hire TIM FLOYD?
Blackhawks - nuff said
Cubs - 100 years
Sox - heck I don't know anything about them other than they suck.

Wow - sound arguments :no:

Bulls - Jackson wanted a break, Jordan wouldn't play without him, not going to pay the money for Pippen by himself, so hand was forced to rebuild with youth - Tim Floyd was one of the hottest names back then. Otherwise, Paxson has done a nice job rebuilding the team year after year since he was hired to clean up what Floyd wrecked (homer draft of Fizer, lets be honest), and besides this year where every individual players' stats are extremely worse than their career averages, they've been competitive for a few years now. I actually think their front office is doing well.
Blackhawks - well, nuff said is dismissing it too much. The ownership is considered the LA Clippers of the NHL. That's nuff said :wink:
Cubs - plenty of times they've put the pieces together to win a championship. '84 they lose a 2-0 series lead in the NLCS in a 5 game series. They've been to lots of NLCS games and a few world series (not since 45 unfortunately) in those 100 years which is more than some teams can say. And they're finally valuing their farm system, while going out and getting some playmakers in free agency. yes i'm a homer on this one, but they don't have the worst front office because of 100 years without a title.
White Sox - Ken Williams is considered one of the best GMs in MLB, they won a world series 2 years ago. hmm... just because Konerko and Dye had their worst years in their careers last year doesn't make them have a bad front office either.
Bears - Angelos doesn't look that great right now... It's like the Cubs banking on Prior and Wood to be healthy a few years ago. I don't get why they expect Grossman to be any better. But they did put it together as a team to get to a Super Bowl. That helps the argument against a bad front office...

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron