Charges

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Freebird, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Freebird

Freebird Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Has this been discussed here at all?
    I have no stats to back this up but it seems like we get a ton of charge calls against us and hardly ever have any called against our opponents. Why the discrepancy? I really don't think it is officiating.

2. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Never. Not even once.

3. Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Colorado
    Yeah, don't remember it. I mean, I didn't even realize they called charges anymore.

4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

We really haven't been in position to take the charges, and there are only a few that I can remember that should have been and weren't. I think Royce just gets them because he is so big and aggressive that the refs believe a lot of the flops are real.

5. Cyclone1985

Cyclone1985 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Creative Director
    Grimes
    nothing better than seeing a 6'11", 280lb "man" flop down low. thats the only way to stop him, really.

6. andybernard

andybernard Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Ha..the one last night called on Booker I think was completely ridiculous. He had passed the ball and almost come to a complete stop and that ogre leaned into him and then flopped.

7. agrabes

agrabes Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I honestly feel that opponents get away with charging into Royce as well because he is so much bigger than them. A good example would be last night with maybe 5 mins left in the game J'Covan Brown rammed into Royce, Royce got knocked a step back, Brown rammed Royce again and took a shot. Royce was called for a foul. Brown definitely lowered his shoulder both times. I'm no ref, but from what I understand that meets all the technical categories of a charge.

8. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Forgot about that one. Almost as bad as Acey flopping on Scottie last game.

9. Cyclone1985

Cyclone1985 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Creative Director
    Grimes
    Should have been a no call. RW did not jump and was straight up, JB was leaning/jumping forward. Clean play by RW.

I really felt, at times, like i was watching a european soccer match. I would have thought our players were ***** smacking texas by the way they were flailing their arms all night. They must have watched some Reggie Miller game film before the game.

10. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    My favorites are the one where Scotty "launches" a 6'11" 280lb "man".
    I guess he's just too much thug for the big men.

11. LivntheCyLife

LivntheCyLife Member

Nov 25, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO, this team just doesn't have a lot of quickness compared to some of the teams in the Big 12. It's a team with a lot of skilled shooters and big men who rely more on positioning and strength than athleticism. Not a lot of guys who are real fast off the dribble to go around guys or super quick to rotate and draw a charge.

12. acrozier22

acrozier22 Well-Known Member

I think they should remove the charge call from basketball. :jimlad:

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Behind you
    It has. Turns out a few weeks before the start of every season all the MBB officials get together for a retreat to discuss and workshop all the different ways to screw over ISU basketball. Charging was at the top of this year's agenda. Good eye.

14. only4cy

only4cy Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    A few weeks before the season starts, Gonzo and fellow Hocks get together. After they circle-jerk under the poster of Fran, they workshop all the different ways to troll ISU websites.

15. cyclone1975

cyclone1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Professor
    Ankeny
    If I were Royce I would be thinking "Do I want to come back for one more year of basketball in a league where every single player flops whenever I touch the ball in the lane?"

16. UPClone

UPClone Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Seems like charges are up all over....You might get recruited if you can flop well, can lead to quite a few turnovers for the other team. I don't know if it was a point of emphasis or what, but a lot of charges are getting called when the defensive player is even falling before he is touched...pretty sad.

17. LostinIowaCity

Jan 15, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    The reason we don't take any charges is because our help defense is bad. If there's one thing I think we need to work on for the tournament, it's help defense.

18. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I can't read about charges without thinking of this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg]dook's (duke's) Greg Paulus flops (better quality) - YouTube[/ame]