Camp Preview: The offense (w/ quotes from Messingham)

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    You noted the lack of mention of Brun, but what about Bibbs? I was hoping he would make a big impact, such as with twin TE sets.

2. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    I really hope they actually do implement more of these two-back and pistol sets. The two-back set worked well last year and I kept waiting/wanting more of it but no dice. They'd run it for one series and usually moved the ball well and then came out the rest of the game and refused to use it again. Not as frustrating as watching a McCarney team run up the middle most of time but leaning towards that side.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Heck, get three backs in there with SR and see if they can catch us.

4. Splendid

Splendid Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    #5 Splendid, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Fall Camp Preview: The offense | News | Football | Cyclone Fanatic

Am I the only one that thinks the real SR is the one that was on the field against Kansas? If you throw out WV in which he played heads up with an NFL 1st rounder and Tulsa when he had the flu then I think he had a great redshirt freshman year. I was in the Jack for WV and the elements were against a passing game by either quarterback due to a fierce wind. I was not in the locker room in Memphis to see if he really had the flu or not so I can only go on the published reports that he did. All I know is if I have the flu I am aching on the couch and not trying to outrun some 250 lb linebacker to the first down marker. I'm excited to see more Kansas games out of the kid who is possibly the most accurate passer we have had for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kyle22kjs

kyle22kjs Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Shontrelle Johnson, Aaron Wimberly, and DeVondrick Nealy with Richarson running some sort of option. This could cause some match-up issues.

6. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

Not denying that he had the flu. However, when I watched the replay, I looked for things that would seem to indicate sickness and didn't see them. It certainly didn't keep him from hitting Brun for the TD or making several other good plays. I don't recall anyone saying that he looked sick while he played until the coaches came out and said so. My point is not whether he was sick, but whether it should be used so much as an excuse. Like I said, I think the effectiveness of their D-line over our O-line and our offensive game plan were bigger factors, as well as the absence of key defensive players.

7. Rods79

Rods79 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Des Moines
    That is exactly the question for this upcoming season. @KU last year will certainly be the benchmark game, but in my opinion it isn't safe to assume that he'll exceed that just because we have all this talk about there being no QB controversy going into camp.

8. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Correct. We got decimated at the LOS and Tulsa abused Knott being out of the game. Miller and Morton were completely lost on defense.

9. CycloneWarning

CycloneWarning Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Plus, it was friggin KU. We will only see maybe two teams that bad this year. It was truly an outstanding performance, but against a truly crappy team. It is going to be fun watching SR develop this year. I do think that ISU is entering this year with the best QB situation than any of the last two years under SJ/JB.

10. CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
    It is going to be very interesting to see how the staff handles the RB position this year.

On one hand, I am completely in favor of the adoption of some Pistol offense, but that is a one-back scheme. So on the other hand, RB might be our deepest and most talented position, but how can we take advantage of it?

11. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I seem to remember several dropped passes in the W Va game. Am I remembering this wrong?

12. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I'd certainly be in favor of a two-back scheme, especially if one was a bigger back like Woody to act like a fullback and block that extra guy. Could spring our fast guys for some big yards.

13. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    All I remember from WVU is hoping the game would end so I could get out of the cold. Terrible day.

14. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Didn't Nevada run the Pistol with two backs? I'm pretty sure I've seen that somewhere before... I can't think of a reason you couldn't run the Pistol with two tailbacks or a tailback and a fullback.

15. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    I have this gut feeling that this will finally be the year that we have a 65% passer. That would've made Sam the 5th most accurate passer in the big 12 last season. I'm hoping this is possible and we see the potential of these offensive playmakers we keep hearing about.

Sam's yards per attempt (6.85) over his 3 games were also the highest since Arnaud (6.96) in '08. Potentially meaning he is finding players further down field or putting backs/receivers in better position to gain yards after catch.

I would love that number to jump into the mid 7 yard range this season. Completion percentage and Yds/att being that much higher would be a great start to a more efficient/effective offense.

16. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I personally think the biggest wildcard on offense is the guy being interviewed - Coach Mess.

I liked him as a position coach, but I thought he cost us some last year. I'm hoping that being a little more experienced, and maybe Coach K will help that out a LOT :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  17. CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
    Agree. I guess it would be more accurate to say the Pistol is generally a one back scheme. Not sure I saw enough of Nevada to know what options they run out of it, but I think KSU and Klein mainly ran one back last year when they went Pistol.

Not sure that stacking two RB behind the QB in the Pistol doesn't take away a lot of its blocking advantages. Though I am no FB formation expert.

18. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    Keep in mind Sturdy was a hell of an OC at Wazzou, too. Having 3 OC's on your staff has to be good for ideas and adjustments.

19. isuska

isuska Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Ankeny, IA
    posted this link in the Pistol vs Triple Option thread.

multiple formations, with multiple RBs at times is possible

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of course with each formation, the X and Y can be split out or go 2 TE