cables for new TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wartknight, Dec 28, 2009.

1. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Finally caved to pressure from my mother in law who claimed she couldn't see the scores watching fb on our TV and bought a flat screen LCD from Philips.
    I'm using an RCA video input right now and watching the Bears and Vikings in what seems to me like a really good picture.
    What differences would I notice if I used an HDMI cable instead?

2. jpete24

jpete24 Well-Known Member

Big difference.....If it's from your cable box and you have HD channels. Otherwise, not much.

3. wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
    Yes. Coming from DishNetwork box. What kind of difference?

4. JHudd

JHudd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    Plano, TX
  5. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I got a Philips LCD as well. I've noticed on the HD channels, that the very bottom of the screen shows at the top - like a centimeter of it, but it's annoying as hell. Just on HD channels this happens. Is this a cable problem or the TV?

6. wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
    I don't have a problem with that. Are you using Coax or RCA cables?
    I just hooked up my OTA antenna though and the local channels are much better in HD than through the Dish so I assume an HDMI would take care of that?

7. GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    Mine is a coax coming from DVR to TV.
    I'm hoping it's just that and I don't have to take it back, because I love the TV and picture.

8. GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    Here's what it looks like, just on HD channels.

9. Dino

Dino Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Modeling
    Des Moines
    Could be an HD picture going through the coax. Try an HDMI or component (the red green and blue cables.) If that doesn't work, maybe your TV has a V-hold knob or screw or some sort of menu adjustment?

10. Dino

Dino Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Modeling
    Des Moines
    If you watch a game in OTA HD that should give you a pretty good idea what an ESPNHD game from your dish will look coming through HDMI. I say get it for sure.

11. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
  12. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

I love that episode. Robert dancing is pretty funny stuff.

13. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't think there is much of a difference between Y/Pb/Pr and HDMI in quality. HDMI is a lot more convenient, however.

get a cheap cable from monoprice.

14. bstegs

bstegs Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Chicago
    Also, make sure that you do not have the red/white/yellow cables plugged into the component out on your dish receiver. I don't know if the decreased bandwidth would impact the picture like that.

15. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    And you're sure you have an HD box from Dish? Did you have an HDTV hooked up prior to your new one?

16. ddisu

ddisu Active Member

Nov 11, 2009
    insurance
    Toledo
  17. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    You don't need the "expensive" ones unless you're burying them in the wall. These will do fine:
    HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

And, as cheap as they are, I'd just order 3 and save a bit on shipping down the road when you want to order more.

18. mred

mred Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    SE WI
    Or if you're doing a longer run. I don't know if I'd trust 28-gauge more than 10 feet. Less than that, the cheap ones should be fine. Since you linked to a 4 ft cable, I agree with jumbopackage.

19. CycloneCPA

CycloneCPA Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Component to HDMI Cable -- Blue Jeans Cable

This website does a good job of explaining the connection options in layman's terms. The link is to a specific article (not necessarily pertaining to the specific question), but provides a direction to information for all sorts of connection questions.

Basically, optimum connection is dependent on what other equipment is involved in the setup. For a basic HD satellite receiver => TV connection, either connection should provide same quality of viewing in a vacum. However, as with every video source, the quality of output signal may vary so I would connect both and see which looks better. Also, with a component connection, you will need to run a secondary audio connection.

I always come across a common problem with my inexperienced friends when setting up something for the first time. 1. They hook up too many cables & 2. The video source is setup to output signal through the lowest quality connection or at a format that isn't correct.

When people begin incorporating audio receivers and blu-ray receivers into their setup is when the utilization of HDMI becomes more critical.

20. conmebol

conmebol Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Or just this for $1.97 + sh if you dont' care about color
    HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!