Bubu Appeal Denied by Regents

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CyFan61, Dec 4, 2013.

1. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Just announced

Leath's decision to remove him from the team stands

2. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Male
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Not really too surprised.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Maybe play for EIU next year as a graduate student like Kane? They need in-state pg help.

4. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    Not to rip on the guy when he's down, but from a MBB team standpoint, I think he would have had a hard time fitting into the rotation right now anyway. The way they're playing, who amongst Kane, Thomas, Long, Morris, and even SDW do you look at and say, "yea, I'd play him less minutes in favor of Bubu."

5. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

What? He can't even sit in the bleachers anymore? :pbaffled:

6. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Seriously, I don't like the way this was handled by Iowa State and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more scrutiny of the process. For instance, I don't think there is any public knowledge of who was on the judicial affairs committee that made the decision against Bubu (or who filed the initial complaint against him).

7. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Professional Land Surveyor
    hills to flat lands
    I think his defense and maturity would have fit in well when kane and or niang are in foul trouble.

8. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    He already redshirted so this is his last season of eligibility.

9. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    completely agree. This whole thing seems like a load of crap. I just don't see how he can be kicked off the team when he wasn't even actually charged with anything. Add that the student thing said he could play it seems like they want to hold him out for some reason.

10. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

It seems that he was kicked off the team for things that are done by a significant portion of the student body. How many of us even knew that there was a student code and the possibility of being kicked off a team by a judicial affairs committee? Makes me suspicious that someone was out to get him. Not saying he was innocent or that he didn't victimize others, but this looks like a process that could be manipulated. It seemed like it happened before anyone even knew if was going on. Don't reporters usually jump all over this sort of thing (e.g. interviewing jurors whenever they can)?

11. kberyldial

kberyldial Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I hope Bubu Palo goes on to be successful at whatever he does. As far as not being a part of the basketball team, that's that. We have a team that is rolling along and this is no longer a matter of substance.

12. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    ....but...but...the new Bubu averaged a triple double in CCL and set records.

13. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I hope most students don't do actions of a sexual nature that escalate to police involvement?

As for student code, that is a weak argument. For a general student not on a team, they should generally know their rights and responsibilities. In fact, I believe all students take a "training" prior to starting over the summer about sexual misconduct. As for student athletes, they are told in MANY differently ways what the expectations are of them to be in good standing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    There is most likely no way he can be part of this team from a practical standpoint, but I hope he continues to pursue this if for no other reason than to clear his name and shed light on this process...

15. TXCyclones

TXCyclones Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    TX
    I just hate the way this whole thing was handled. ISU f'd this one up badly.

16. 83Clone

83Clone Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Alert the media

17. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    Student code is like the terms and conditions. Yes it's there and you say you understand it to get what you want, but you don't really read it. Yes athletes should be held to a higher standard, but it all sounds like some girl who had regrets about something and lied about what really happened. So if he really broke a rule then it was probably something that wasn't as big of a deal.

18. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    That is a shame.

19. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Fine. Move on. Put it behind us.

20. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'd say Leath and the BOR have more information regarding Bubu's misconduct than anyone on this board does...