Boy, this really takes me back

Discussion in 'Football' started by ruxCYtable, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    Silent, lifeless crowd. Empty east upper deck. Hapless team of QUITTERS on the field. Cold fall wind blowing through Jack Trice Stadium.

Reminds me of all those fall Saturdays I spent with my dad, may he rest in peace, in section D row 6. Thank you CPR and Cyclones for bringing it all back.

2. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Polk City
    It's the Walden days again

3. ISUKyro

ISUKyro Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yep. I had hope these days wouldn't be back at ISU - guess I should have known better.

4. RunDMCyclone

RunDMCyclone Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Auror
    12 Grimmauld Place
    [video=youtube;MdeSLxz5TTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdeSLxz5TTE[/video]

5. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    Well at least there's always tailgating! But I don't live in Iowa anymore..

Well at least basketball season is approaching!

6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I really thought we were past this 2 years ago after our biggest win ever.

Since then, 7-16 with a team that looks worse each week. This is really an unbelievable development that should have been impossible.

7. madcityCY

madcityCY Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    agree - middle 90's when the only question was how bad the loss would be, and how soon the opposing team would put the 2nd team in.

8. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    It's all about b-ball IMO, where we actually have a chance to become a legit powerhouse.

Our football program will likely never be consistently competitive.

9. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    Reminds me of mid-80s too

10. Cydar

Cydar Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2006
    So is this Criner or Walden?

11. cyatheart

cyatheart Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    It's bad. We are outmanned everywhere. Defense can't stop anyone, and the offense has no chance to score.

12. RunDMCyclone

RunDMCyclone Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Auror
    12 Grimmauld Place
    All goes back to the recruiting. It has been terrible since CPR arrived and hasn't improved. It's hard to ever build something more than a program with a ceiling of 5-6 wins (including several cupcakes out of conference) when you are relying on players with 2 stars and no BCS offers. Some people blindly look past that, but it's the truth.

Until the recruiting picks up, is there any real reason to expect anything better than maybe a 5 or 6 win program in the best of seasons, and 2-3 wins in ugly rebuilding seasons?

13. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Walden and Criner meets The Mess. He is the one below.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

14. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    Rhoads has been a .500 coach and Iowa State has 17 straight game of 50,000+ fans. Sooner or later, if the product doesn't improve, ISU will be consistently under 40-45k fans, hitting the AD in his pockets. Until that point, there is a 0% chance Rhoads leaves as long as the AD sees no difference in the balances. Rhoads also has a 10 year contract, which honestly, I think was a bad move. ISU had 1 year over .500. That doesn't scream let's give Rhoads the keys and let him get the program for 10 years. Hoiberg has deserved his contract, Rhoads hasn't. I don't think Rhoads should get canned, however, for the people wanting Rhoads gone, you kinda put Rhoads in a spot where he's untouchable, you have part of the blame in this. End rant.

15. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Won't be any record ticket sales next year, that's for sure.

No heart. No leadership on the field. No depth. Really questionable coaching decisions. Not a winning formula.

16. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    What if I wanted Rhoads gone before he got his big contract? Like after the New York game.

17. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    #17 digZ, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    Problem is, recruiting really just picked up last year, and maybe the year before that. If we can hold on to some of our recent recruits during this downturn, I think things will pick up. I know it sucks to say "wait 1-2 years" as most cyclone fans have been waiting for a looong time, but I think things will get much better from here. Lazard, Campos, Curtis, and Mister. We're still in the mix for Jones. Things are looking wayyy up for recruiting since 4 years ago. Rebuilding jobs take time. The problem is will the fans, administrators, and players be that patient? Hopefully.

18. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Yep, our recruiting hasn't improved at all relative to the rest of the conference under CPR and we had been extremely lucky in close games (6-2 in one possession) over the last two years, we were getting to 6 wins each year but with almost no margin for error. When we stopped getting so lucky in close games we were headed for a long season, although this has been worse than I expected.

19. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    2 thoughts:

1. Yes, the fan support has been amazing and beyond what the record deserves (although the big wins deserve real recognition). It won't drop to the 40-45k range, though. It'll bottom out much lower and be much more difficult for the next guy to build back up.

2. Wesley feels like the doggie pics are cute, but that joke got old at one post. Someone shut down the bot.

20. vortex

vortex Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Wow some of you guys are really Debbie Downers...what are you going to do if the BB team has a bad year or two at some point in time? I think there was a good chance this year would be tough in football, maybe not quite to this degree but the odds fovored a down year. High expectations are a good thing but realistic expectations are the best bet.