Boulevard Brewing sold to Belgian brewer Duvel Moortgat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cydsho, Oct 18, 2013.

1. cydsho

cydsho Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Really disappointed this is no longer a KC owned business but could have been worse. Had seen rumors that SABmiller was involved with the purchase.
    At lease Duvel is a private family owned business that seems focused on high quality beers so maybe there won't be much of a change.

2. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    Doesn't surprise me that Boulevard sold out, it was getting too big not to be gobbled up. But I also am glad that they didn't go the Leine's route and sell to one of the big two.

Now if Schell's ever sells out that will be a very sad day for me. Fortunately it appears that the next generation at Schell's is very involved in every step and appears to have no intention of selling.

3. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    They are certainly spinning it the right way...makes me have hope that Boulevard's products will remain the same!

4. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    just don't change the recipe, and we'll be good.

5. colbycheese

colbycheese Well-Known Member

If they nix Tank 7, then I'll be boycotting.

6. StormnClone58

StormnClone58 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2008
    College Graduate
    West Des Moines
    Was just in KC and have been on boulevard's tours ... The people of KC take great pride in boulevard and support it alot ... Also the people that i was able to meet and chat with during my tour were head over heels about their 'brand' and the 'hometown brew' stigma that Boulevard has helped create ... As others have said, atleast they didnt sell out to one of the big 3 ...

7. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Duvel is good stuff.

8. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    The bad thing about this is that it probably put Duvel on the top of the list for ABInbev of brands that need to be purchased. Now they could snag two well known names in one buyout. Hopefully Duvel sticks to their roots, but it would be tough if one of the BMC companies came in and started throwing piles of money at me.

9. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I'm in Kc right now. A lot of melt down over this around here.

10. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    Duvel also bought Brewery Ommegang several years ago and from what I've heard, the product has remained the same. If you're going to sell, a family-owned, craft brewer is the best situation. Thankfully they didn't go the way of Goose Island.

11. scyclonekid

scyclonekid Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I think it will be just fine.

12. thatguy

thatguy Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    DENVER
    lots of intrigue in the industry. the suppliers are all pretty sure that wheat and pale will go the way of fat tire and get overproduced and make it sh*tty but it will be in every beer door in america. The people in KC are being told that it is going to actually add jobs and they are doing a 20m growth project to the actual brewery.

John McDonalds oldest kid is only 23 and can't take that over yet, and he wanted to retire, getting 100m+ for that company is a good way to do it, its more than the rumored amount that New Belgium almost sold for.

13. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Just hope Sam Adams stays American.

14. ianoconnor

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    Sam Adams is publicly traded.

15. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    People tend to hate companies when they get big but I can still say that Fat Tire is a great beer and I've never noticed a change in taste.

16. ianoconnor

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    I haven't noticed a change in Fat Tire, either. Not to mention NB makes some other beers that are damn good.