Blum: Groundhog Day

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Nov 6, 2013.

1. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    Geesh. It does seem like 2003 to 2004 again :shocked:

So who's Bret Myer in this analogy?

2. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Lanning? Lazard is Blythe? Both Iowa boys...

3. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    Good analysis.

This season has so many parallels to '03 — hope it can conclude in a less-disastrous way. We'll see.

"Lost a winnable game at Northern Illinois." That seems so similar to this year's Texas game. I feel like (outside of the injuries) each of the two seasons hinged on a game like that. Get over the hump, and maybe it's just enough confidence boost to stay more competitive.

This year's time might still be only 2-6 with that win, but maybe something could have carried over to the Tech game, and who knows? ... perhaps Baylor loss is only a train wreck, instead of train-into-the-gorge ...

4. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    Yeah I figured Lazard is Blythe.

For the record, I wasn't in the Meyer camp at first, and I'm not in the Lanning at QB camp either. So maybe there's something there . . . :jimlad:

5. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Will we get to avoid the top 3 teams in the conference like we did in 04? That certainly helped us.

6. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA

This.

Apples and oranges.

7. brentblum

brentblum Brett Blume
    Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007
    You both make valid points. Definitely not perfectly analogous. Still, the 2004 team won four games in conference, which was a HUGE leap from 0.

8. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA
    I would take 3...4 would be awesome.

9. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    So maybe they should play "I Got You Babe" at the start of each game.

[video=youtube;2I30i_bfgGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I30i_bfgGo[/video]

10. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Those two seasons have been so much alike. Believe it or not, I think Flynn got pounded even worse than SR has. I'll never forget replay after replay of Tommy Harris crushing him (unblocked on the play from DT position!), heck they were showing that up through his draft by the Bears and on Fox Sports for years.

I remember walking out of the Colorado game at halftime that year (we were down like 34 - 0 and we had maybe one first down) carrying a garbage can while puking in it. That about summed up the season.

11. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    I like it and the band should play it after every three and out just to see if anyone gets it. Every situation has an subtle movie reference that is totally appropriate.
    :smile:

12. mcblogerson

mcblogerson Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Regardless of how this season ends, I think next season we get to 5-6 wins. The team is so young, how do things not drastically improve.

I'll be more confident in that statement if Sturdy or Klenakis get promoted to OC.

13. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Cool--can't wait to look back in 2-3 years and be so happy about the marginal football ISU has gotten back to.

This year seems worse because I remember a feeling in 2003 (after the 2nd half of '02) that things weren't going to be real good.

This year's team at least was spoken of like it had talent, and was capable. I expected quite a few losses, but the kind of close losses that only come from youth, and still wanting to watch them. Not a team going out and looking complacent in all facets.

14. Am I the only one that feels the 2003 team was better (on paper anyway)? We were loaded at receiver (Danielsen, Whitver, Young, Montgomery), running back wasn't bad (Hicks, Rutland, Wagner, Thompson), and on the lines we had Tyson Smith, Jordan Carstens, Bob Montgomery, and Aaron Brant. Special Teams were about equal (Yelk/Benike vs Fish Sticks/Netten).

Granted, half the guys I mentioned all got hurt in the first three games, but if everyone were healthy, I like to think the 2003 team would stomp the 2013 team.

I would take Richardson/Rohach over Flynn/Terry/Love anyday though (Not a knock against Flynn though, just Richardson can chuck it farther, and Rohach throws a better bullet).

15. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA

I think a better question who is Ned Ryerson?

16. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Do you really have to ask?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. cyclonebillski

cyclonebillski Active Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Male
    Golf Course Asst Super
    Council Bluffs
    That year RS FR Meyer and Blythe are local stars and got is to 7-5. Next uear we will have RS FR Lanning and FR Lazard....hmm...