Big Ten Basketball Is in a No Good, Very Bad Place

Discussion in 'In-State Rivals' started by CyTwins, Feb 22, 2017.

1. HawkeyeMashup

HawkeyeMashup Active Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    I get it, I just choose to ignore that. It is an honest question. I'm critical of Fran and Ferentz when they mess up. No coach is perfect, I just assumed ISU would space out Purdues bigs from the start instead of waiting until the second half.

2. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    The OhIowa State University
    I was more upset with our player's lack of pace and execution more than Prohm.

If either coach did something ridiculously stupid, it was Painter. Why in God's name did he pull both Biggie and other gooner off the floor at the same time, or at all? I can see getting some rest for Biggie, but not for six straight game minutes allowing us to score 20+ points. The other guy scored like 14 points in as many game minutes, then never saw the floor again. I couldn't comprehend either of those coaching decisions (although, it still worked in the end I suppose).

3. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    ISU hasn't used that lineup in a long time. They tried to spread teams out earlier in the year and got mixed results. Young was playing decent D, I think CSP was more worried about playing tough D on Purdue and thought the offense would come around. Remember ISU started the run with Swag on the bench.

4. HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    I guess I am talking offensively for ISU. The drives to the rim in the first half were met with Haas at the basket, and ISU just couldn't finish over him. At the same time Haas was abusing Young down low offensively as well. When ISU pulled Young and went small, Purdue couldn't keep Haas and Swanigan on the floor at the same time, and has to adapt to ISU's game.

Hindsight is 20/20, I just wondered if ISU fans were seeing what I was seeing is lol.

5. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Having seniors doesn't automatically mean everything is primed for optimal performance. What gets lost in this is with 4 starting seniors, ISU spent half the season trying to replace two NBA draftees and a big that was limited but could still score the ball, along with bringing in new guys and figuring out starting line ups while also getting buy in and roles figured out.

I think with all that, the season was a good one considering fans were just hoping for a tourney bid at one point, but give this team a full season with the line up after 2/11 and they likely shave off 3-4 losses overall. Some shots flip Saturday night and we're discussing another Sweet 16 appearance and a realistic shot at advancing.

Iowa had seniors last year, but expectations should never be that high when one of them is perhaps the worst athlete on scholarship in the country (Woodbury), and the coach has some sort of mental choke hold on success.

6. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    I didn't watch the game because I was watching the real tournament but how did Iowa lose at home to TCU when they didn't have Fisher? Did Dixon just completely outcoach Fran?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 67CY

67CY Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Male
    I had mixed emotions. I was hoping TCU would win, but also hoping the hoks would later get beat by Colorado St

8. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Wait...TCU WON???? LOL...I, much like Twins was watching the real tournament and took some CF PTO after our loss on Saturday I just jumped back in to these threads at the last page.

9. HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    Yeah, Fran was completely out coached. I also didn't like the fact that Uhl was on the court Late in the game. I get that Fran wanted someone who actually played D on the floor, as nobody else does, but he just is a waste out there lots of times and his D isn't that great either.

It is like some of you get so hyper upset if anything about ISU is questioned. I thought Prohm was gonna come out and play to ISU strengths and exploit Purdues weaknesses. He didn't do that until the second half, and I think it was a big coaching mistake.

10. Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    So you're mad that a 5 star talent was on the court late in the game of an NIT second round mathchup? HOW MUCH TALENT DOES IOWA HAVE? It's mind-blowing apparently.

11. HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    Cook was on the floor and I was happy he was there. Uhl isn't good, has never been good, and anyone who tells you he is a 5 star talent is an idiot.

12. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    I have no problem with how Prohm coached against Purdue and I have no problem criticizing ISU coaches. Fran doesn't even have a good defender on the team, Wagner maybe but he's undersized

13. HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    Iowa is horrible defensively. Cook has improved and Wagner is their best interior defender. Fran can't have Wagner on the court late as he is a brick mason from the line.

So you were ok with Prohm's game plan in the first half? I guess I don't get that.

14. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    I don't think you can say that Prohm wanted Burton to play like crap in the first half. My guess is that Burton was told to play like he did in the second half from the very beginning but he was content with shooting instead.

15. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    The game plan was solid. Several open shots for Iowa State didn't fall. Several contested shots for Purdue did fall. The second half was the expected result of the game plan.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010

Yet, on you go spinning like a top.

17. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010

But, but they always prove to be posers.

18. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'll take the bait. If we would have went with a small lineup it would have eventually gotten exposed. Our big run took place because of 2 things. 1) Purdue actually started missing some shots so we were able to get quick looks out in transition and 2) Biggie was sitting. CSP has played with the small lineup and it didn't work this year and the results weren't great.

19. Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Hlas and Doctherman.

20. HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
    Male
    #520 HawkeyeMashup, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    wow those guys aren't usually that stupid.