Best Spot on ISU Campus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Detasseler, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Detasseler

Detasseler Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Accountant and student by
    Campus
    With gorgeous weather and the most beautiful day today, I'm thinking what is everyone's favorite spot at Iowa State to walk through, sit and study, and just enjoy the fall colors. In my opinion there is no better time of year. Football season, changing leaves, cool mornings, warm afternoons, and spectacular sunsets make this the best time to be on campus.

Personally, there is nothing better than walking through old Richardson Court under the arches seeing the golden leaves and trees or sitting in my apartment in Freddy looking west at an orange and purple sunset.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Doing that currently...

But I love sitting on Central Campus and being able to surf CycloneFanatic with the campus wireless :biggrin:

3. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I used to live in Old RCA and the grass area between BWR, Linden, and Oak/Elm was always a popular spot. Central campus though is by far the best place if you are just looking for a spot to take in the nice day wether for study or relaxation.

4. Between the parking garage and the east end of old RCA was the first place I thought of. Around the lake is nice too but I prefer spring there when the Redbuds are blossoming and the tulips in front of the Union are blooming.

5. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    i always loved walked down osborn this time of year, with the entire street lined with trees and most of them changing to some shade of red...er, cardinal.

as for sitting, in front of the library. especailly if there was some crazy debate or protest or something in front of the hub.

6. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Last year I did appreciate the first nice day of spring...opening the window when I got outta bed at noon and seeing girls, girls, and more girls tanning on the intramural fields at Maple-Willow-Larch...

If the girl I pegged with the baseball in the face is reading this, you shouldn't have laid down where you did!

7. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    Living on the 7th floor of Storms my freshman year. I enjoyed the water in the toilets swaying back and forth on windy days. RIP

8. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    I'm always a fan of sitting someplace on central campus or sitting in front of the library on nice days.

9. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I have to agree with ALL of these.

I love my life now... but days like this make me pine for my first couple of years in college... even if it was just for one more day.

10. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA

LOL! That is no joke either, they really swayed up on the 10th floor. I lived on 1st floor Storms in my Towers days so I had to see it before I actually believed it the first time I heard about this.

11. cycopath25

cycopath25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Male
    Director of Rehab
    (307)
    There is one particular tree on central campus that I liked. It has a nice thick branch that is pretty much horizontal and is easy to sit on. It is about 10 8 fet off the ground, and nice to sit on and read.

12. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I always enjoyed the long runs through campustown and sorority circle on those first hot days of the spring...

• Like Like x 1
  13. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I have to second the Old RCA memories. I started out at Towers for the first couple months of my freshman year and moved there. It is really nice walking to the Union, or north of Oak-Elm.

14. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Who does that?

15. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Best place in the world to play snow football at midnight - except you've gotta watch out for landing neck-first onto those chain fences (saw that one happen - he was fine, but it scared the crap out of all of us).

Best place to take a nap - the leather couch in the Friley Den

16. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Sitting on the Curtiss steps and people watching.

17. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Those are a LOT nicer since they re-did them this summer...but I HATE the railings they put on them. Don't get to watch people fall down them anymore :sad:

18. throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    There are two trees just between Marston and Durham halls. Not sure what kind they are, but they always smell amazing.

19. Detasseler

Detasseler Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Accountant and student by
    Campus
    I also particularly like the 4 or 5 trees that are around the flag pole on central campus. Their changing leaves always stand out during October and they are a nice place to sit in the shade during August.

20. scottie33

scottie33 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    Definately the tiers in the library...never get caught in there...oh wait, were talking outdoors, well then gotta be central campus on a nice summer day where we are blessed to have the clouds open up and give us one more day of sun and skirt season