Best Shows on TV Right Now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Angie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I know we've had several threads about the best TV shows ever, but what are the best shows airing currently?

My picks:

Community - so creative and different, interesting characters, innovative storylines.
    Parks & Rec - Tom Haverford is awesome.
    30 Rock - I hope this last season is great.
    It's Always Sunny - It's been a little downhill the last few seasons, but still the darkest humor on TV right now.
    Downton Abbey - I know not many others will know this, but it's incredibly written and acted.

I tried to watch American Horror Story, but it scared the crap out of me - what I did watch was very good.

2. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Community.....and everything else is lagging way behind.

3. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    Agree with Downtown Abbey

love me some Portlandia too

4. Angie

Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I think the new season of DA starts Sunday in England, but we don't get it until January? BOOOO.

I have been really interested in Portlandia, haven't caught it. Same with Breaking Bad.

5. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Breaking Bad
    Justified
    Dexter

Surprised I really like the show: Person of Interest

6. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Modern Family is pretty good, and it nice to have an old fashion type of family sitcom.

7. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    A few of my favorites:
    Suits: More of a male drama, but I enjoy the banter the characters have back and forth. The love triangles are starting to get ridiculous
    Psych: Enjoy the show for its good clean humor. They also do have some pretty good themes in their episodes. I also like how they change their intro.
    Sons of Anarchy: Watched the premier last night and I was really impressed.

8. Angie

Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    We really like Psych, although I haven't caught the last few seasons. Gus is a great character.

9. rudiskilz

rudiskilz Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Teacher
    West Des Moines
    Psych is hilarious. Its sweet how they change the intro based on the theme that they are doing for that episode. Others to watch: Suits, Criminal Minds, HIMYM

10. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Really into Alphas and Hell on Wheels. I watch all of the comedies you listed, but for dramas with action, these two are top notch.

11. bstegs

bstegs Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Chicago
    Community - Goth Britta was oddly hot
    Parks & Rec - I will see your Tom Haverford, and raise you one Ron Swanson (especially when he hooks up with his exes or goes out dancing)

American Horror Story was incredibly dark, but had me hooked from the opening scene with the twins and the girl with down-syndrome. The first season was incredibly good. Connie Britton is great.

As far as an old show that i recently finished, Jericho did a great job of wrapping up its story arch with a fulfilling second season. If only lost had had that kind of foresight (and I still liked the ending).

12. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    This thread will not be complete with a mention of Archer. The reigning funniest show on TV.

Also have to mention some premium channel stuff: Game of Thrones, Dexter, Shameless, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

13. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    Yeah I like Gus and Lassy. Some things that they are talking about in season 7 are a love interest for Gus, a musical episode, and a Clue episode.

14. Angie

Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    bstegs - You're right, Ron Swanson is fantastic. I love his adoration of breakfast and dark-haired women. For some reason, him + Tom at the strip club last season killed me.

Archer is pretty great, too. I haven't seen any Dexter since the first season, we cancelled HBO, but it was good.

15. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    Shark Tank (hands down favorite)
    I still like Big Bang Theory (I know there are polar opposite opinions on this one)

As you can see, I don't have cable so can't comment on any cable shows. Personally, I scroll through the DirectTV guide at work occasionally and think everything on cable looks like a bunch of crap followed by more crap. I'm sure there is a few hidden gems I'm missing though.

16. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Breaking Bad - probably the best television show of all-time

Parks & Rec - best "character" comedy since Trailer Park Boys and as a local government employee, far too relateable

Always Sunny- Season 6 sucked, Season 7 was a solid rebound but not quite on par with the Season 5 peak

Archer - totally ridiculous in the best kind of way

South Park - still provides the most spot-on cultural commentary out there.

17. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Anything on the Discovery Channel. Some of my favorites are Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Bearing Sea Gold, Survivor Man, Gold Rush, Man Vs. Wild, Storm Chasers. Have been watching Yukon men the last month and have liked most of what I've seen. The American version of Top Gear is pretty amusing. Like the British version as well,

Don't watch a lot of other syndicated shows. Son's of Anarchy pulls me in, but that show has gotten way too gory for my tastes.

18. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    #18 jbhtexas, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    My wife bought the DVDs, so we are now catching up (shudder). Actually, I have to admit (but just not to her) that I like it.

My wife and I are both weather buffs, so we like Storm Chasers, and many times they end up chasing in areas that we are familiar with.

19. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    Glad to see this thread. Been looking for some new shows to start watching!

In addition to some already mentioned, we really like "Raising Hope" on Fox. Similar feel to "My Name is Earl" and the same producers.

20. Angie

Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    It really is phenomenal. I just caught them on Hulu - started watching after my daughter's bedtime about a week and a half ago, and I've burned through both seasons. I won't tell your secret - the acting really is quite good, and the cultural/historical aspects are really interesting.