Becoming a fan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chizit, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Chizit

Chizit Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Section L, Row 11
    What event/person/thing/ caused you to become an Iowa State fan? I didn't find anything like this for awhile, so sorry if it has been posted recently.

2. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    The letter in October 1996 that said I had officially been accepted to attend Iowa State...

3. acs4isu

acs4isu Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Shepherd
    West Des Moines
    I was born into it.

4. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Late 90's when I was in high school and came up for a ISU vs. Kansas game. ISU beat a heavily ranked Kansas team. Great game.
    Went to Wallabys after the game, and Tim Floyd came in about an hour later. People were high fiving him, shaking his hand, getting pictures, really nice guy. He bought a round of shots, they were blue and called Kansas killers, for the whole bar. These waitresses were carrying around round trays just full of blue shots for everyone. Never got carded and was the best under age shot I ever had.

5. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    born into it as well as growing up with idiot hawkeye fans

6. Cycloin

Cycloin Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Sales
    Johnston
    Wore an Iowa State Basketball sweatshirt to school (2nd grade in 1977). It wasn't a statement, I just thought it looked cool. Honestly, I followed Iowa as much as ISU then. But the amount of **** I caught from my buddies at school caused me to dig in my heels and become the biggest (literally) 'Clone I could.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    My first cyclone game..!

8. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Grew up big iowa fan in Dubuque.

Went to ISU for school. Cheered for ISU and iowa for the first few weeks. Got my first taste of the ISU/iowa game about week 3 of school.

Never looked back.

(actually, I really liked Dr. Tom, so I always had a soft spot in my heart for iowa bball. That got hardened over when they f'd him over and brought in the golden child)

9. TitanClone

TitanClone Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    515 via 712
    Born into it. Both of my parents are ISU grads. I have had season football tickets all my life. I still get chills before every game.

10. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    receiving my acceptance letter.

11. NIowaClone

NIowaClone Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, Texas
  12. GriffClones

GriffClones Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Altoona, IA
    Iowa by birth.
    Iowa State by grace of god.
    (From the bumper sticker on my bedroom door growing up)

13. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    Pretty sure this thread already exists... but I was always a Cyclone fan, but became a "big" Cyclone fan during the Colorado game when the tornado came in 2005.

14. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    same here.

15. illinoiscyclone

illinoiscyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Student
    Ames
    The fact that they decided they'd pay half of my tuition each year kinda convinced me to like them.

16. clonefromNE

clonefromNE Active Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Male
    Lawrence
    Born in Nebraska to Cyclone parents. I attended schools where Friday was "Big Red Day" and indoctrinated early so that I became a fan of the Huskers as well as the Cyclones.

Since the day my sister attended ISU when I was in 6th grade, I stopped rooting for the Huskers and became a diehard Cyclone fan. Never have looked back...except in disgust for how I once rooted for both!

I still get crap back home for coming to ISU, but that is no problem for me.

17. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Parents who obviously thought that their son didn't deserve much in the way of happiness when it came to college sports teams.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wright4cy

wright4cy Member

Jan 15, 2007
    self employeed
    Boone
    My husband was going to ISU..It was his bday and wanted tickets for football ...I assumed he was taking a buddy ...Nope , Just me and him (I grew up in town too small for football ,dad never watched it <I had no clue)It was freeezing !!!! We were playing kstate I remember cause coat was purple and people thought I was cheering for them!I remember watching Troy Davis Wow , he loved the sport and carried guys with him into end zone!! I was hooked ..Fans around me were so fun!!!Have only missed I believe two games since that day.I was in hospital and they wouldnt release me to go !(my doc had season tickets too) I absolutely look forward to football season every year!!I am a fanatic and wear my tshirt and warn others around me .I love to cheer and yell!!!!!!!:yes:

19. Cycloin

Cycloin Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Sales
    Johnston
    Awesome!!!! Somehow I need to get you to visit with my wife.

20. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    I've always been an against the grain type of person. Growing up, EVERYONE was a hok fan. That alone was a good enough reason for me to look to ISU. What really pushed me over the edge was watching their basketball games starting in the late 90's(I'm only 26). I remember shooting hoops like I was Kelvin Cato. What pushed my fanboism to the extreme it is today was my very first Cyclone football game. It was a cold night at the Jack in 2002. ISU was playing Kliff Kingsbury and the Texas Tech Red Raiders. For those that aren't sure, that was the game when THE PLAY happened. I've never looked back.