Battles

Discussion in 'Football' started by Aclone, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    No, this isn't a thread about Ames' best barbecue. :wink:

I thought it was interesting to see some of the comments regarding the quarterback battle in light of the posting on cyclones.com regarding the scrimmage. Some people went to great lengths to wring every bit of detail out of a few words, while others seemed disgruntled that the deck seems stacked in Austen's favor. So, just for the heck of it, here's my two bits.

We can't really read inything out of a few words, especially with the battle at least a couple of weeks from being over. It really struck me that some people reacted strongly (both ways) to the comment about Austen throwing a "beautiful" long touchdown, when that's simply what he does.

Honestly.

The first time I saw Austen Arnaud's arm in action, it took my breath away. The guy just throws a beautiful ball, that's all there is to it. He has a strong NFL arm, quick release, and throws a perfect spiral. As Bill Murray would have said, "That's the fact, Jack".

But that's not all there is to it. For being a quarterback isn't just throwing a beautiful ball, it's making reads, doing checkdowns, hitting the receiver in stride, or on the correct side of his body as regards the defense. It's leadership, confidence, charisma, command of the offense, and a whole bunch more that I can't even begin to describe in a few sentences on a message board post.

Let alone claim to understand, never having played quarterback.

Still...Austen throws a gorgeous ball. That's all there is to it. And I suspect that when it arrives where it's going, it's also eminently catchable.

Anyone remember Doug Williams early in his NFL career?

On the other hand, Phillip Bates is exceptionally athletic. Indeed, in one play his freshman year, in most of our hearts he paid for every cent of his four (or five) year scholarship. He's earned his keep. But as a quarterback, he adds another dimension as a breakaway runner--and I don't think many of us will ever forget the impact of Seneca Wallace's wheels. He's also got quarterback skills, he's smart, he's driven to excel--and both he and Austen seem to have that leadership thing going.

The catch is that one or the other of them is going to have to demonstrate the greater (hopefully complete) mastery of the quarterback position--or the "beautiful ball" will be on the bench, watching the "explosive runner" pilot the offense. Or vice versa.

Else Jerome Tiller might find himself at the helm, sooner than we anticipate.

And truth be told, the two of them pushing one another is hardly a bad thing for the team. Competition good.

And sure, there are other battles--but for now, I'll stick with this one. It's too fun to watch.

2. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
  3. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    #3 djkent01, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
    And I suspect, even given coach's comments about picking a number 1, that both will see playing time early. The depth chart may be decided by 8/28, but the future QB is going to take much more time. I think and hope we get the opportunity to see plenty of both of them on the field this season - unless one takes obvious charge. I just don't see that happening at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CycloneWarrior

CycloneWarrior Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Urbandale,Ia
    Hickory park is better

5. sunset

sunset Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Corporate Finance
    San Diego, CA
    Hickory Park is a better restaraunt. Battles has better BBQ, it's not even close.

6. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL

Amen.

7. SeattleClone

SeattleClone Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    My thoughts exactly.

8. 4VR4CY

4VR4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Ankeny, IA

I was gonna say that HP has better all around food, sides and fried foods etc, but I do better in the smoker in my back yard. I worked there for 2 years in college and its their non BBQ food that I love. not a big fan of their ribs. The ribs I make at home fall off the bone.

9. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny

couldnt have said it better myself... oops it was me, forgot to sign out as my wife.

10. ISUCyclones

ISUCyclones Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ames
    We will not be denied... Battles is leaps and bounds ahead of HP when it comes to sandwiches and sauce.

11. borc4cy

borc4cy Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Retail
    DSM, IA
    Flying Mango. DSM. Better BBQ then Hickory Park

12. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    agreed. although i would argue that the old battles was a better restaurant as well. that little hole in the wall had some very real character to it, and although they did a respectable job moving to blimpie's it lost some of its mojo in the process.

13. bmuff

bmuff Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Yep, I agree.

As for the QB battle, I do know from watching a practice here and there, Bates has the quicker release. Both have a quicker release than Meyer. But I think that it all comes down to who makes the better decisions and doesn't turn the ball over. They can both make all the throws. Bates offers an extra dimension with his running (not that AA can't run, he just isn't as gifted in that area).

IMO they'll both get a chance to prove it on gameday.

14. timc243

timc243 Member

Apr 20, 2006
    student
    I made that comment about the "beautiful ball". I wasn't trying to apply that to the players at all. I just wasn't expecting to see beautiful in the football practice report.

15. scottie33

scottie33 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    I'm going to have to go get a full pork tomorrow with a gigantic slice of texas toast now tomorrow.

16. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. I actually think the Battle's in Nevada has more mojo than the old Blimpie one now.

17. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    tomorrow sounds like a good time to get that tomorrow. tomorrow.

lol, j/k :cute:

I am also gonna agree Battles = best BBQ, Hickory Park = better restaurant.

This QB situation has me really excited. From the looks of things (nothing against Bret, he was a good QB) but I think (at least at some point) we will say this has been an upgrade at this position. The both have quicker releases and seem to throw very good deep balls. Plus they are both more mobile. I cannot wait to see these upsides in action.

18. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    All right, so apparently this is a thread about Ames' best barbecue after all. :wink:

Agreed about the restaurants--and when i was a student, the big attraction to Hickory Park was probably the sundaes.

As far as Bret--Phillip and Austen probably won't be running for their life/getting massacred nearly as much as he was, either. That tends to add a great deal to your "perceived capability"--let alone your actual capability.

19. sunset

sunset Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Corporate Finance
    San Diego, CA
    I agree, it will definitely be an upgrade at QB this year.