Bates looks to be in the lead

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyfan4St8, Aug 12, 2008.

1. cyfan4St8

cyfan4St8 Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Agronomist
    Iowa
    Looks like to me Bates is with the number 1's

QB Phillip Bates went 8-of-11 for 112 yards, including a 21-yard post-corner to WR Darius Darks and a 55-yard bomb to WR R.J. Sumrall. Bates also completed passes of 11 yards to WR Marquis Hamilton and 7 yards respectively to WR Joel Zitek and WR Alex Sandvig
    - QB Austen Arnaud went 7-of-9 for 51 yards, with a long of 18 yards to WR Justin Lillie. Arnaud also completed an 11-yard pass to Euseph Messiah, where the speedster made a defender miss in the open field for a first down as well as two more to WR Jason Carlson for 9 yards.

2. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA
    #2 Palmer, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

from my luxery box....it looks like...

they rotate....

• Like Like x 1
  3. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    I think it only means he got reps THAT day with the #1s.....

-keep

4. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Engineer
    Tiffin, IA
    That's just from that one practice. There have been several where AA was the leader. I'm guessing that it is still a coin toss and we wont know until the first game. I just hope that whoever wins out doesn't have a slow start - because I think the fan base is pretty evenly split on who they want to win it.

5. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]

6. TheHelgo

TheHelgo Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Male
    Portfolio Manager
    St. Louis, MO
    may the best QB win.

7. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I think we are going to see both in the first few games, possibly most of the season if no one can seperate themselves.

8. bellzisu

bellzisu Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Agriculture
    Norwalk
    How many practices have we had now???

Not trying to compare things, but I'm sure Seneca's backups had better days of practice then Seneca did from time to time..

I want the best man to win, but when looking at one day I can't draw any conclusions. AA has been better several times already.

Maybe the average "Joe" like me can't see that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scottie33

scottie33 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    I'll take a QB who throws 7-9 or 11-12...both are excellent numbers. But the thing we have to question is what do they "the football team" want to give to the public about their practices.

10. cyman1189

cyman1189 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Athletic Trainer
    Akron, OH
    I don;t know why everyone is saying that they rotate? Chizik has said he "wants one QB... Period." maybe for the first game i could see them splitting time but whoever performs in that game will take over. Personally i hope it is Bates cuz I'm from Council Bluffs so i got a few chances to see him play across the river in Omaha.

The ultimate thing i want to see is them to split time. FI one guy is in at QB put the other guy on the field at WR. I can imagine that Chiz could draw up some pretty good trick plays that you could utilize both of their talents. Both of them are great athletes and could play bothe QB and WR. plus in my opinion if Chiz gives the job to one guy and the other can't hold his own at WR, then i see the odd man out transfering because Tiller is right behind them and i honestly think that he sounds like the real deal.

11. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    Yeah, boy, it's really hard to make these kind of predictions from one series of plays. 55 yard bomb to Summeral sounds good, but, was it the right read? Did it just so happen that R.J. got open on that play? How open? Did he get open for AA and he missed the read? Maybe he was covered while AA was in there. Who knows, maybe it was a bigger play by the receiver than the QB. There are so many more things that go into being QB besides big plays. So many reads, picking up defenses, etc. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see these kinds of plays all the time. But, I wouldn't put too much salt in the bits and pieces of practice reports. I'll be really surprised, if by game 1, we have one clear cut starter. I just hope it's because both are doing so well, they couldn't choose.

12. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    The poster above was saying they are rotating in practice, not that they will be rotating in games. I think everyone is well aware that Chizik wants one guy.

13. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Please Lord, have the season start now.

14. DRCHIRO

DRCHIRO Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Hypothetically, if AA wins the QB battle and Bates is willing to change positions, does Tiller still redshirt or do we waist a year of eligibility to be the #2?

15. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA

Lord called and said no.

he is too busy monitoring Eastern Europe and getting belly laughs from our threads.

16. cyman1189

cyman1189 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Athletic Trainer
    Akron, OH

Yes i see what you are saying... guess i got ahead of myself..:wideeyed:

17. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I love that we have two guys who have skills, and honestly, I feel bad for whoever is the odd man out.

18. DRCHIRO

DRCHIRO Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I agree. When is the last time we have had this problem? We have two, young and very capable QB's to run our team. I am just happy that we know that the best player is going to play rather than be "given" the spot because its his turn to play the position.

19. Thornhill

Thornhill Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Chizik has said he wants one guy because he wants them competing for the starting spot. If he says that both will play, they no longer have that extra motivation to get better.

20. EZpickins

EZpickins Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Ames, Iowa
    IMO, I believe we'll see a clear cut starter after the SDSU game. I don't like the idea much of splitting time between the two, although both are extremely talented n both deserve to start, I just don't think it's fair to have your offense get into a rhythm with one guy and then change it up to a different guy n possibly take that offense out of sync. I have a ton of confidence in Chizik that he'll make the right decision.