Barta says only one offer made

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by joepublic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. joepublic

joepublic Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Editorial
    Ankeny
    Well, gee when you're turned down flat by five guys before you make an offer, what else are you going to say?

2. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    1.2 mil? Iowa overpays again.

3. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    plus bonuses.:baffled5wh:

4. price26

price26 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    I'd say congrags to Iowa on a good hire (unfortunately). They went and got someone who has some validated success running with the big guys and building a program.

Seems like Lickliter is the direct opposite of Alford so it will be a welcome breath of air for Hawkeye fans at basketball games. It'll be interesting to see what kind of team he brings to Ames this fall.

5. thakeepa14

thakeepa14 Member

Jan 10, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, I agree. Average, and flirting with slightly above average, hire. But Barta up's the salary to make him seem more creditable. Not a bad idea, but anyone that doesn't pray to false idols (like the herky jerky) could tell that he ain't worth that....

And yeah, Barta gave ONE offer........to at least 6 people!

6. jtd9046

jtd9046 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Sales
    Chicago
    It's not hard to believe only one offer was extended. In that type of business you are only going to extend an offer if it is pretty much a done deal. The coaches he may have been targeting first never got to the point of an offer being extended.

7. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, and Jesus loves Hitler.

8. Cyclone62

Cyclone62 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    Exactly. He may have only "offered" one coach a contract, but he tried to get quite a few more to take the job. Those coaches however, saw the writing on the wall and said "no way, not even free burritos can sell me on Iowa."

9. thakeepa14

thakeepa14 Member

Jan 10, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    I see where that's possible, I just don't think it happened. Stallings was given an offer and turned it down. Multiple sources told Andy Katz. Barta is trying to quiet the talk about nobody wanting to come to EIU. To some extent, you can't blame him. But I just think he's fibbing on this one...

10. price26

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    You would think he wouldn't have had such a hard time selling "It's Iowa" to prospective coaches. Everyone knows Iowa is the second Kentucky.

Apparently though Lickliter was impressed.

11. Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    Didn't Brewster also say that Pollard extended an offer to him too? Yea, that happened.... :rolleyes5cz:

12. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

They probably got the best coach available to them. I know he isn't the most glamorous hire ever, but he can certainly coach players. I would prefer that they have a guy that scares me on signing day, but not on gameday. This guy seems like the latter.

13. darts180

darts180 Active Member

Apr 12, 2006
    What else can he say??? He has to fire the fans up about a guy that many of them didn't know a few days ago.

If he were to be candid and say, "hey Pearl turned us down, Majerus fell through during negotiations, Altman took his name out of the job to go to a better job, Lowery decided to stay in Carbondale, and Stallings said no as well." he'd get killed. He has to pump this guy up to his people, he knew how divided his fans were with Alford.

It actually worked out for him, Lickliter just got some stroke from his peers with the coach of the year award (even though Lowery deserved it more), and Kentucky wanted:laugh8kb: him (if 17 other candidates said no). The guy can coach, he built Butler back after all the players that he inherited, and went to the sweet 16 with, graduated. Life is not bad for Gary Barta right now.

14. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Barta can claim whatever he wishes, but if you read between the lines he was either desperate or incompetent.

Paying a coach 1.2M that was making 300k is very unusual. Barta was either running out of choices and he had to pony up or he is an incompetent negotiator.

15. Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    #15 Cyclone62, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
    What is an incompetent person? Alec, I'll take, "Idiots" for a thousand.

16. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    I don't think the hawks were quite at "desperation" point in their hiring, but no way was he their #1 choice...it was a slightly average, maybe a lil above hire. I don't know what future this hire will hold for them, all I know is ours is much more optimistic and I think we can easily tell which school has the better athletic director :)

17. price26

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    Because the man who recruited A.J. Graves and brought in Mike Green (from Towson) and just finished his 6th season at Butler inherited all those players.

18. price26

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    Well duh. :biggrin9gp:

19. darts180

darts180 Active Member

Apr 12, 2006

Read the post. He inherited his first Sweet 16 team, which was primarily recruited by Collier, with an assist to Thad Matta. After that group graduated, he had to do some rebuilding, which is the group that is there now.

I HOPE THAT CLEARS IT UP FOR YOU, I PROMISE I WILL GO SLOWER NEXT TIME.

20. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Barta's saving face on this one. He only made one offer, but the new coach was the only guy left to make an offer to.

I thought the interview was interesting. The new coach seemed to be relatively humble and tried to crack a few jokes which is a big change. He talked a lot about family. The rest was normal ra ra stuff.

He's off to a good start, but he's got his work cut out for him....