Banks,Laing, Hamlin (REAL Thread)

Discussion in 'Football' started by cycopath25, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cycopath25

cycopath25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Male
    Director of Rehab
    (307)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. joefrog

joefrog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Marketing
    Clive, Iowa
    Rhoads needs to send a strong message. I do not want out program to start looking like the circus in Iowa City. Wins do not excuse bad behavior.

3. rdubbs

rdubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Please tell me you don't honestly think ISU has a squeaky clean program with zero problems

4. cmoore_23

cmoore_23 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    national guard
    Ankeny, IA
    well the fact they turned them selves in might help them but then again idk.. this really sucks

5. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I can't believe it took one reply to compare our situation to a school that has nothing to do with us. Honestly I thought it'd be the first post, but I was close. Rhoads' reaction to this situation has so little to do with anything that has ever or will ever happen in Iowa City is laughable. Please let the "we need to punish them harshly so we don't act like Iowa" talk end here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Incyte

Incyte Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2007
    ISU isn't squeaky clean but I would rather not see the amount of arrests rise to the level seen in Iowa City.

7. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    where did he say that? geesh.

I believe he is implying we act strongly to discourage future problems. Versus, acting passively and/or weakly to NOT discourage future problems.

-keep

• Like Like x 1
  8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I think no matter what punishment is handed down from CPR, there are going to be people who complain that it's not severe enough just as there will be people complaining that it's too harsh. What I don't think anyone is advocating, though, is that they get off scott-free.

I'm sure there will be a lot of thought that goes into the punishment. I'm guessing 3ish game suspension, some community service/treatment counseling, and lots and lots of laps. There are still a lot of unknown details (as it should be) that could affect the punishment.

9. d4nim4l

d4nim4l Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Analyst
    West Des Moines, IA
    The fact that a warrant was out for their arrest by the Drug Task Force has me worried that this is just more than a bust for possession.

Glad to see the indefinite suspension come up quickly . We will be lucky to see Banks in an ISU uniform again.

10. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Sorry but this thread will turn into the last one because we still have people on here who think we should boot these guys for a minor first time offense. Until these people learn we all need to live in the real world and not some tough guy internet world matters like these will turn into fiasco's.

• Like Like x 1
  11. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Exactly right MCB. Whatever the punishment is it must be consistent and it must indeed be punishment.

12. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I'd say sit them this week versus Army, and leave them at home next week for the KC trip. 2 games. And IMO, not playing at a pro stadium like Arrowhead is a pretty big punishment for a college player.

More than your minor transgression, not the death penalty.

13. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    They were suspended indefinitely, according to a statement released by the Iowa State athletic department.

14. CylentButDeadly

CylentButDeadly Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Exactly. You can't let what a bunch of message board tools say directly impact how you feel about your team/coach/program, etc. Coach Rhoads will do the right thing and in so doing, he won't check Cyclone Fanatic or hawkeye report or ESPN.com to see what ISU, iowa or fans nationally think about it.

This is his program and he will run it according to his ethics & standards. What another coach at another university does in these situations will more than likely, not have any impact at all.

15. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    #15 IcSyU, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    I'd give 'em a choice. 2 game suspension and 6am workouts 7 days a week for both weeks regardless. They can either take a third game suspension and continue those workouts, or they have workouts at 5am instead of 6am for two weeks and they're good to go. If they show up late for any of them, suspend them longer. You make your statement, and you give them some of the discretion as to their punishment and you find out how much football really means to them.

It would've been 3 right off the top, but I'll give them some leeway for turning themselves in.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Gotcha.

17. rdubbs

rdubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I wouldn't check Hawkeye report if I was Rhoads either but I might consider hawkhuddle.com. ;-)

18. MB4CY

MB4CY Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Norwalk, IA
    I need to hear all the facts come out before I decide for myself what these guys deserve. Could be a 2 game sit-down slap on the wrist, or it could be the boot altogether.

There's obviously enough smoke here (poor choice of words?) to mean there's fire, but let's not hang them all yet until we know more about it.

19. CylentButDeadly

CylentButDeadly Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    This is the appropriate response at this point. Suspend them indefinitely, due to their self-admission, continue to sort through the details and then hand down their punishment accordingly.

20. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    I still think that is a hilariously-titled website. It's reminiscent of Hendrix's "kiss the sky/kiss that guy" lyric...Hawk Cuddle!:biglaugh:

Was it named that because of the way the Hawks hold hands in the "swarm"?? So cuddly.

• Like Like x 1