Article on Creighton and MacD

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by nfrine, Feb 3, 2011.

1. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AdRock4Cy

AdRock4Cy Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ankeny
    I agree with him, but honestly I was ****** when Creighton hired McD. Hopefully he can turn it around, but I am pessimistic.

3. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    HA! of the three teams with coaches out of this shenanigans (Oregon, CU, and ISU), ISU was by far the worst situation to walk into last spring.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    So nice he pointed out Iowa State's bad record in there. The irony is of course that the bad players were inheirted by the very coach he is defending.

I think McDermott is a good coach and if he didn't completely get the Iowa State curse while he was here, he'll probably be fine.

But......I don't blame Creighton fans for being worried sicne the exact same things that happened at Iowa State for him are happening this year. Close, heartbreaking loss that you think with just a break or two they would have won. Losses to teams they are superior to. It would worry me too.

The beauty (and curse) of Fred is that we can live in ignorance for a while yet. We don't know his tendencies yet. He might be a great coach. He might be a crappy coach. The curse of Iowa State might be real and no matter how good he is, he might fail.

But I'd be worried if I was a Creighton fan because it looks pretty similar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    So let me get this straight...First the author says you can't blame McDermott's for Creighton record this year... that it's Altman's for leaving. Then he uses the "see Altman isn't that good anyway" because he isn't lighting the world on fire at Oregon. So its not McDermott's fault his team isn't good because he is a first year coach but it IS Altman's fault his team isn't good as a first year coach? And ISU is bad this year but its not McDermott's fault for leaving this giant mess? Holy hypocrite.

And for this:

Replace "Creighton" with "Iowa State" and the statement was very accurate in 2006. 4 years later our fans were begging our AD to make a change because nothing was better.

I'm not saying McDermott won't succeed at Creighton, but everyone thought he was a sure-thing in Ames too. And it always is interesting when the guy who replaces the head coach has more success than guy who left (Ben Jacobson at UNI). McDermott seems to be following the Dan Hawkins path, so far anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    What the Creighton AD does not realize is that it apparently takes player 5 years to learn McDermott's "system".
    IMO Greg's success at UNI was all due to Ben Jacobsen. His failure at ISU and slow start at Creighton are due to Greg.

7. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    Holy circular logic.

8. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Creighton will be fine once GMac gets his recruits in place :jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

I found it funny that Matty P mentioned Dana Altman lying to Creighton fans. When Dana was at Creighton all Matty could do was talk about how Dana had more integrity than anyone on the face of the planet.

9. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    I think you're post is spot on about CU but I think people saying that Freddie inherited bad players from McD are giving Greg way too much credit. Freddie inherited virtually no players. Does Fred even have enough scholarship players left over from McD to make a starting 5? I would also add that so far McD's problems at CU are similar to when he was in Ames.....very poor guard play. Heck, I think we may be deeper in the backcourt than they are.

10. singsing

singsing Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Unable to get an entry pass into the post? Players chucking up 3s and not rebounding? Sounds kind of familiar. This guy needs to do a little research. He talks about how bad Altman left Creighton's program, but makes no mention of what a mess Mac left us. I seriously don't know who he'd play this season with the recruiting class he'd put together and the players returning. If Fred hadn't got Jake and Godfrey late I can't imagine what kind of shape we'd be in. I'm excited for year two of this coaching change and see the comparison's at that point. Can't imagine from watching a Mac coached team for the last few years that Creighton fans had better learn the word "patience".

11. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    This is also a low blow at Dana Altman. Dana Altman made Creighton, had he not brought the success he had to Omaha the author of this article would never have jumped on the CU bandwagon. But what do we expect from CF's favorite "journalist"

12. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    "Nobody likes to be told to ignore the current season that you are in the middle of but it is February and in six weeks, the basketball season will be over for Creighton. Let’s just enjoy the rest of the ride without any expectations."

Yes, trust us -- having zero expectations for a McDermott-coached team is the best approach.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Is this guy supposed to be a journalist? That is some ****-poor writing.

14. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Wonder how sportstalk likes their coach now.

15. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Male
    Being awesome
    Clive
    Did not read the article but....Once again I would like to thank Creighton for paying ISU to get rid of McD. Seems things have not changed with him. Losing to worse teams and blowing late second half leads on a consistant basis. Maybe we can get Creighton to pay ISU some more money?

Did the author talk about the revolving door of players at ISU under McD's watch?

16. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    This is becoming more and more apparent with each passing year.

17. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    McD has sure thrown the seniors under the bus for lack of leadership and skills. Lawson was a force last year and now he has given up because McD brought another player in.

Wonder what his recruiting class looks like.

18. CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Replace Altman with Morgan......and you will see the same PR BS happened at ISU. What will be interesting to watch........will the Creighton fans buy into this like so many did at ISU?

19. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    The article has horrible logic. It also could have ISU put in there instead of Creighton and you would have thought the article was written 4 years ago. I hope the article was just to give the fan base something to look forward to. Mcdermott for some reason has been given a pass by all sports writers in the town he coaches in.

20. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    No, he did not.

And if Creighton wants to send out money, I would like to receive it. Sure, I haven't won any games, but that doesn't seem to matter.