Are Women Attracted To Jerks?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by alaskaguy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Here's how the jerk spell works: women meet a jerk and in some twisted way are seduced by his confidence, charm, and passion. Women don't see these as the disguises they are: confidence is really arrogance, charm comes from him being a player, and his passion is being the center of his own universe.

Angela, a 25-year-old newlywed, had this to say on the topic: “I was at many times a serial jerk-dater, mostly because it was exciting and dramatic and I had something I thought was special. ... When I met [my husband] his niceness scared me and I worried very often that I was not attracted to him enough. I worried that it would die off. But I did not play to those worries or insecurities; I let the road take me where it wanted to take me. It was not long before I grew a deep-rooted passion for him, something that made his touch the sweetest I had ever known.â€￾

Link:
    Why do some women like dating jerks? - Features

2. cyismydog

cyismydog Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Wow, Alaska guy, you find all kinds of interesting news stories. you're like a serial news poster. At least it keeps me interested.

3. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    But does his niceness scare you?

4. Arkansas

Arkansas Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    soon to be self employed
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    It's the reason that I've lost interest in dating anymore. Harleys are MUCH more fun!

5. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Ummm, ok, I can think of something more fun to ride than a harley.

6. Wx4Cy

Wx4Cy Well-Known Member

May 22, 2007
    IT Architect
    West Des Moines
    Mine is:biggrin:

that was sarcasm by the way.

7. 4VR4CY

4VR4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Ankeny, IA
    My husband is not a jerk, but I dated plenty of them.

Self esteem has a lot to do with women dating and staying with jerks.

8. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    And its always the most beautiful girls who date jerks. And the beautiful girls are the ones who have the lowest self esteem

9. 4VR4CY

4VR4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Ankeny, IA
    Surprisingly, some do. The catty ones have the lowest. Believe me, I was in a sorority during college. :yes:

10. ericlambi

ericlambi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    My two cents . . . The worst thing a guy can be when he meets a woman is boring. Boring and nice are commonly correlated. Women don't like jerks, but they hate boring more.

11. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Chicks dig me.:biggrin:

12. cloneu

cloneu Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Financial Analyst
    Urbandale
    Chicks dig the long ball.

On note with this topic though I think the above mention of nice guys being too boring and drive the ladies away at first has some merit.

13. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Chicks dig guys who play Travian.

14. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    you were a soho? I don't believe it, do you have the party pants?

15. Aldude505

Aldude505 Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Student
    Iowa Falls
    I dont know what some women think when they start dating jerk guys. It's kind of funny because every other guy can see that you are dating a jerk. Just waiting for you to get your heart broken so they can be there when you fall. Girls will keep going back for more from the same jerk guy again and again and I still haven't figured out why...But on the nice guy side, girls seem to look past a lot of nice guys probably because as was said earlier girls just don't like how 'boring' a nice relationship is. But in the end I have noticed that nice guys do win in the long run.

16. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Hmm, I suspect this thread will open up some old wounds of high school angst. I've had plenty of experience of dealing with women who date/dated jerks, catching them on the rebound, then having them leave again for another jerk. It's awesome.

17. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    For the most part, very true statement.

18. Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    I am the father of 3 girls and personally I think a lot of what contributes to the decisions young women make in who they want to date has a lot to do with their relationship with their father and watching how their father treated their mother during their childhood. Getting approval and acceptance from Dad I think is very important and when that don't happen then they seek out acceptance in any way they can and that means sometimes not the best way.

Maybe I make it a whole lot more important then it might be, but I will do everything I can do to make sure my girls know my feelings for them and see that I treat their mother with all the love and respect that she deserves so they know how they are to be treated when they come to the age of dating........hopefully about 30....:confused:

19. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Military Contracting
    Khorasan
    There are sound biological/genetic reasons for women dating "jerks". Jerks = aggressive, vigorous genes.

(What follows is a rather crude analysis, but the long version would be long and boring to most)
    On a social note, "nice guys" tend to be intimidated by women who society deems as "beautiful". The "beautiful" women tend to be socially active, yet lonely. The only males who approach them are the a-holes with capacious egos. So, they are already dealing with a limited amount of choices of males.

To use crude terms, the "ugly" and the "beautiful" among females are rough places to be, biologically. Females of "average" appearance have the most social opportunities.

20. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Military Contracting
    Khorasan
    Back to the subject at hand. I don't necessarily agree with the monickers of "nice" and "jerk" as they are conventionally applied to males. I've met "nice" men who at best, benevolently "neglect" the females in their lives.

And I've met guys who could be described as "jerks" who commit themselves to their female mate (as well as to their few friends) in ways that most "nice" guys could only hope to attain.

In social circles, I would be characterized closer to "jerk" than "nice", on the surface, (and yes, I've had no shortage of female mating opportunities) but on a deeper level, I bond and commit seldom, but when I do, it is a strong bond and commitment.

Here's a pic that I think gets to the heart of the matter:

[​IMG]