Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

Discussion in 'Football' started by JUKEBOX, Dec 5, 2010.

1. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    What are some benefits of the two teams leaving?
    Will ISU be able to recruit a higher level of athlete now that Colorado and Nebraska are gone?
    Does ISU become more relevant in a 10 team conference with a round robin schedule?

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Few, if any.
    No. Its rare we're competing with those schools for recruits.
    Nope. We're still that school on Oklahoma's schedule that they write off.

3. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    It might help with recruiting in Texas, because Nebraska and Colorado will no longer play in the state anymore unless they schedule non-conference games there. However, it isn't like Colorado and Nebraska are dropping down to the WAC or the Sun Belt. They are still in a BCS conference. Once, ISU starts competing with the top teams in the conference then they will be able to get "higher caliber" athlete.

4. Istate

Istate Active Member

Jul 15, 2008
    IMO, I would say no it is not good. First, Nebraska leaving the Big 12 weakens the conference. Now we are basically the Texas schools and Oklahoma plus some tag-a-longs. That means if OU or Texas says enough the whole thing is off. Secondly, it makes winning football much harder. We had chances to make a Big 12 championship game in recent history. If we get there and the opposing team pulls a Nebraska during that game and gives it away 8 times, we could have won a conference championship. Now, it's nearly impossible that we'll win a conference championship in football. We now no longer have an extra patsy in the OOC season because of the round-robin schedule, and we play Texas and OU every year. Third, the basketball conference also has gotten stronger. Instead of 4 games every year against Nebraska and Colorado where we expect 3-4 wins, we get extra games against Texas, OU, Baylor, and OSU.

The one positive is that we will have more money if the tv contracts ever come to fruition. That money also increases accordingly for each of our peer Big 12 schools though. I will always wish that the Big12 would have folded and we ended up in the Big East. We'd have a legitimate shot at a BCS bowl game every year in that conference.

5. GoShow97

GoShow97 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    mass enlightenment
    homeless
    nail on head:yes:

6. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    And it didn't happen.

Well, ISU didn't win a conference championship when there were 6, 7, 8, or 12 teams in the conference. Maybe 10 is the magic number.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    It will definitely help our recruiting in the Big 12 foot print. There's no doubt about that.

Other than that, I don't see it making much difference. It sucks only having 3 non-conference games. That's my main complaint with the entire thing.

8. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    No.

One thing forgotten is how good of a basketball conference the Big 12 will be. You are taking out two of the worse teams in the conference. Then I would imagine the Big 12 will go to playing every team twice, making it an even harder conference. There will be no easy games in conference. The Big 12 needs to figure out what teams will help the conference and go get them to return the conference to a 12 team league. I think when this happens it could be good for ISU.

9. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Basketball doesn't matter half as much as football.

10. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    I would say its bad for Iowa State. Colorado and Nebraska(at times) were winnable games for us. Now we have a harder schedule every year.

11. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Yea think of how much rougher the last few years would have been if we hadn't had NU and CU on the schedule. They were most of Gmac's big 12 wins.

12. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I think the de-stabilizing effect on the conference and lack of any sort of national relevance for the big 12 north outweighs any positives.

13. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Correct. We need to add two more teams as soon as possible. I know that will take money out of our pockets, but we are a very unstable league right now.

I think we should add BYU and either Air Force or Boise St to the North division.

14. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Why is it unstable with 10 teams?

15. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    10 team conference is perfect. Everyone plays everyone as it should be.

I'm very happy.

16. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Long live the Forgotten Five!!!

17. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Biggest winner is baylor, they now get a level playing field inscheduling.

18. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Considering the pac and big tens are probably going to expand more, and cracks that were shown regarding a&m, I don't think you want to be the smallest bcs conference going forward. The Texas schools are really the dominant player right now as far as population and tv rights, if they want to keep it going forever then it probably will be fine, but I certainly don't feel as good now as I did last year at this time. You lose one of the most winning programs nationally in the last 40 years, tough to say how that makes your conference better football wise.